Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 6:12:46 PM EDT
I've got a Norinco (stamped) MAK-90 with the black synthetic furniture that I want to paint in some sort of camo pattern that will match my enviornment.  I've never painted a rifle before and need some help so it doesn't turn out looking like a "hack job".

How should I prep the rifle / furniture?  Do I need to use primer?  If so what kind is best?  If primer is used, do I need to prime the steel or steel and furniture.  Is there any kind of paint that I should use.  I had planned on using the Walmart Krylon Camo paint.  Trying to keep this a low budget project.

I'm looking for any tips, techniques, helpful hints, camo patterns, etc. for this upcoming project.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the rest of the people on this board, but I won't be an accesory to camo painting.  Good luck though.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you're a real Artist , I would suggest
BowFlage - it's easily removable if you
decide you don't like the result.

Here's a link - but you should find it in
stores that carry Archery stuff.

www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=766&categoryID=29
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you want it to look like?  You go anywhere from OD to RealTree.

There are a few different methods, from cheap to expensive.  Results vary.

Check out these:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=187376&w=searchPop

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=185015&page=2

I use an airbrush, CS Camo single stage paint, and Lauer clear.  Sometimes in a hurry, I use Krylon and Lauer clear.  Clean well, use automotive primer and good gun to apply and smooth finish.

I pre-cut masks from paper to help get the desired pattern.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to mention it in my first post, but I don't want to do bowflage or anything that is removable...That's why I came here, seeking wisdom ;)

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I painted my MAK 90 with a basecoat of Rust-oleum grey metal primer, a coat of black textured (gritty) paint, and finally some off-brand camo spray paint that had better colors than the Krylon camo line. FWIW, Hunter's specialties camo colors are better than Krylon IMO.

As a certified "kit slut" I must also mention that my gear inventory has been updated several times since this pic was taken.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Greentimber,

Thanks...Can you give me some info on Hunter's Specialities...Is that a store, name brand of paint??

BTW, did you primer the furniture or just the metal on the MAK?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
this guy did my krinkov stock set
2 week's  and it cost $70.00
i have his e mail if you like urben camo
he can do any you like

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a good loking Krink.

Hunter's Specialties is a brand name. Most Wal-Mart sporting goods departments have HS products. It is also available online at many hunting sites. 16 oz. cans should cost about $3.99. The HS "Marsh Grass" color is far superior to the Krylon tan IMO. The HS OD is a bit lighter & more olive color also.

Try here:

http://www.discountdecoys.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HS0031

It has been so long since I painted the MAK that I really can't remember if I primed the wood or not. I would guess that I simply scuffed it up a bit and laid waste.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Call a guy named Duncan Davis. He works at McMillan Rifle Co. in Phoenix. 623-780-2115
He does a great job and is very reasonable.
Caution: Make sure you get a wrist lanyard and line for your rifle. If you set it down, you'll never find it again.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying get info for a somewhat inexpensive, do it yourself project...Not interested in contracting out the work, but thanks for the info.

Any other tips, techniques, or helpful hints are appriciated.  Keep them coming!

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
PRACTICE ON AN AMMO CAN

camo painting is FUN, but practice FIRST.
do NOT trust the cap color for whats inside the can of paint, its always a bit different.

heres how i camo painted my ammo can -------
1)british desert DPM shirt in the xerox machine.
2)cut out the shapes i want (takes time but worth it)
3)tape shapes down to object (force of spray will move shape so its gotta be taped down, i used scotch tape)
4)spray a base color
5)attach shapes and apply other colors
6)give at least 24 hours to fully cure and harden paint.

this can i did recently, paint is from major surplus (prolly not online but is in store) and is the best camo paint ive seen. colors used a earth yellow, forest green, and sand (on top of grey to darken it a bit)

ive also used a hunter camo trick on another can that i dont have pics of, use trimmings from a bush as a shape and stencile.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top