Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 2:12:16 PM EDT
Does anyone out there make AK specific mag pouches/tac vests and similar gear. I always see stuff that says, "and it will fit AK mags too." Having tried this with some of my M-16/AR specific stuff, I find this solution to be lacking.

Yes I have a set of Russian gear, but lets face it - its not exactly high speed. I am not interested in E. German field gear - I have the Russian stuff.

I have looked at Tantals vests but dont really like the color schemes.

I have just been so impressed with my sam7/Kobra combo that I thought I might start shooting it in a few local 3 gun matches to mess with the AK bashers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:58:48 PM EDT
Special Operations Equipment AK Vest...
www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=1326450
Doesn't get much higher speed than SOE gear.

Course, if that don't float your boat , I'd suggest checking out the rest of the gear available from www.lightfighter.com and browsing their discussion forums for other possibilities.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:59:51 PM EDT
www.lightfighter.com is a great place to start. You may want to call Brad at the 1-800 number and tell him what you are looking for and he can point you in the right direction.

SOE (Special Operations Equipment) is some of the most high speed and bombproof gear that I have ever had the chance to use. I currently have 4 different SOE vests.

The SOE Frog AK chest rig is a great chest rig. For whatever reason both of the harnesses that I have set up for AK mags are both chest rigs. Something about the AK mags feel better on a chest rig than they do on a conventional load bearing vest. I have the SOE FROG AK chest rig, (Same as the SOE Frog, just for AK mags instead of M16 mags) and the Eagle SFAK30 chest rig, which fits either 12 M16 mags or 8 AK47 mags.

There are other options out there, London Bridge also makes a lot of gear, including chest rigs, that will accomidate AK mags.

There are numerous modular rigs out there that will accomidate the AK mags, like SO Tech, Tactical Tailor and many others. For the money I would not recommend Blackhawk, their new modular strike line is better built than their standard line, but you can still get better gear for the money by getting something from SOE, Eagle, London Bridge, SO Tech, Tactical Tailor and a few others. Hope this get's you heading in the right direction.

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:37:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:27:09 AM EDT
In terms of just pouches, CTD sells ak pouches syled like the AR pouches in OD. They hold 3 30rd mags well and use ALICE clips. Works great with the old style Y or H suspenders and pistol belt. For something more Russian or traditional.....These other guys know more than me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:35:38 AM EDT
Thanks guys I'll check out lightfighter
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:34:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:15:53 PM EDT
Well, the quest continues. Lightfighter's site wont let me get past the pictures into the specifics on each product. Any other sources out there?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:44:01 PM EDT
DON'T DO IT!! I bought an improved LBV USGI issue. Bought two sets of two mag pouches from FSU for 14-something each, and had the tailor lady down the street sew them in for 20.00 bucks. I spent less than a hundred bucks total for my LBV. It holds 8 AK 7.62 mags, and it's USGI so it's compatible with almost everything. Here's the web site for the pouches. http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_vests.htm .This place has good deals on mags sometimes too. Good service. You have to call the guy though. I love my vest now. This was a great way to go.
Top Top