Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 5:10:05 PM EDT
Hello!

My SAR-1 is in dire need of makeup to cover up all those years of hard work and strife!

Both the stock and metal components must be made to look pretty. What is the recomended procedure for the metal components? It appears from older posts that engine paint in flat black is an good choice, but... I cannot BAKE anything, as I do not own the stove. I do have access to lots of sun though. Perhaps I can make a solar cooker out of the many window reflectors I posses. I just solved one problem typing this... DOH. What paints and temperature do you recomend? I dont think I can get a homemade one time use solar cooker past 300 deg.

Also, the overall method for the wood seems to be paint thinner, steel wool, and some nice mahogany (or whatever) finish topped off with three coats of clear laquer. Any tips, or advice?

Thanks for all the input guys! I must redo my old sar before I start on my AK-74 project. IT will basically be a copy of the spotted dog ak-74 though.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a maple set for my Sar. It looks nice. The blonde set from Global is very good. If you want the low dollar route you can get good results with the set you have. I have done two of them the low$ route. You need stripper to get rid of the old varnish. I then sanded it nice and slick. Then I used tung oil finish.  I have used the Alumahyde and I have used engine paint. For the $ I would go with the engine paint. I have an Sar3 that has had the grill paint[for painting stoves and grills] for over a year. It still looks good. I didn't bake any of them. CB
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If your not stuck on wood, I got the green synthetic stock set from K-VAR and I am very happy with it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top