Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/13/2003 7:19:02 PM EDT
Well we took SAR1's, Maddi's and the new Sam 7 to the Range yesterday. After testing using E.German FMJ, Czech FMJ, Wolf HP, Barnul HP and SP. I have to say the SAM liked the Barnul HP and SP best. We were able to shoot 4-5 inch groups with irons, firing prone, at 250 yards (actually 254 according to a buddies laser range finder). Maddis shot about 6-8 inches and the SAR1's were all over the place - some shot 8-10 inches some shot 12+.

No Failures to feed/extract with any of them -

Duh. Theyre AK's not AR's.

We did have a shepards hook come off one of the SAR1's (mine) causing the hammer pin to drift out and the rifle would not fire until we got it fixed. I dont think this was a SAR1 issue as it really was my fault. I finished my marathon AK refinsh spree of sandblasting, parkerizing and KG gun coating and slapped them all back together at about 2 AM.

Recoil (in order of most to least).

SAR1 no brake -- Maddi slant brake (barely a difference here) -- SAM7 with weird Arsenal brake -- SAR1 with ak 74 brake.

Final thought(s).

After spending about $225 for upgrades for the braked SAR1 and not including my time or materials to refinish to gun and straighten the FSB. The new and improved SAR1 cost me about $550. The Sam7 needs NO work whatsoever and shoots 2-2.5 times better. For a $50 savings its not worth the hassle of 'improving' a SAR1. My only 'complaint' is the lack of a siderail but you can either install that yourself or buy the Sam 7S for $50 more and you have got a great package.

Just my thoughts...

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:37:09 AM EDT
Yep, I agree with your conclusions especially after going through my SAR-2 nightmare. Granted, it's a great shooting rifle now, and it's probably the best looking SAR-2 in existence. I have not completed an accuracy test with it though. I will in about a week or so with plain jane Barnual ammo. I know it's a tack driver though, judging from the shooting I did with my scope at 50 yards. It shoots better than I can for sure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:08:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By themao:
Yep, I agree with your conclusions especially after going through my SAR-2 nightmare. Granted, it's a great shooting rifle now, and it's probably the best looking SAR-2 in existence. I have not completed an accuracy test with it though. I will in about a week or so with plain jane Barnual ammo. I know it's a tack driver though, judging from the shooting I did with my scope at 50 yards. It shoots better than I can for sure.

What did you do/have done to it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:19:47 AM EDT
- Realign gas block
- Install Romanian FSB + muzzle brake
- Install gordon tech trigger
- Install Russian MPK mount to replace defective Romanian scope mount (it was 55/1000 of an inch out of spec)
- Completey blast and refinish rifle in powder coat
- Install AK-74 handguard retainer (the AKM one let my handguard hang loose)

I'd show a pic, but hunting pictures is acting whacko for some reason. There's a post I made two weeks ago about this rifle. "AK-USA" should be in the title with it and/or "SAR-2". Do a search.
Top Top