Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 9:24:48 PM EDT
(keep in mind while reading this that I am 18 years old, and not eligable for a transferee permit)

A while ago, upon becoming interested in purchasing an "Assault Rifle" I stumbled upon a roadblock that I have just recently realized was completely false and unfair. Shortly after my 18th BD, I tried to buy an L1A1 at Cabela's, but they turned me down, telling me I needed to be 21 and have a transferee permit.  Well, I figured they were right and I went back to the drawing board, finally getting my dad to help me out by awakening his long-lost love for the AR15 series (he had an SP1 back in the 80's) and quickly had myself a Bushmaster M4-style postban.  Well, while learning everything I could about ARs, I couldn't help but learn about the laws regarding such firearms.  In doing so I discovered that MN law requires a Transferee Permit for purchasing pistols and "military style assault weapons."  Didn't think much of it at first, but then it struck me that post-ban weapons are not considered "assault weapons" by law.  This leaves me in the interesting position of having most, if not all, of my local gunshop owners/employees thinking that L1A1s, postban ARs, SARs, and other such postban guns are assault weapons, even though MN law says they're not.  Well, I'm interested in picking up a SAR1 at a local gunshop, but I know they would turn me down, at which point I would have to prove to these less-then-all-knowing people that I can at 18 buy said gun, and that it is not an assault weapon.  Easier said then done.  

My first idea for a plan of attack is a combined assault with thick printouts of MN and Federal Firearms legislation, demonstrating the "evil features count" and so on, which should work.  However, it may be difficult to explain to these bolt-gunners and .22 enthusiasts that the SAR isn't an assault weapon, after all it is only a few minor changes of design that make it legal, and it looks just as evil as a Russian AK.  The biggest problem is that in the federal definition of "semi-automatic military-style assault weapon" is that is says the following:  "Any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates or the firearms, in any caliber, known as....."  How can I convince them that a SAR doesn't fall under that catagory? the law doesn't specifically state that a "copy" of a named banned rifle isn't banned if it doesn't fit the requirements of an "assault weapon."  

You see the problem here?

Anyway, I thought that you might have some additional information, documents, etc. that I could print out in order to it easier to prove them wrong, specifically about the SAR series of rifles.  Is there a specific legal document that describes the SAR as a legal semi-auto not covered under the ban?

BTW: I know this seems like a really strange situation, but I think most of you could see how a gunshop owner could read a pamphlet on MN firearms laws and assume that "Semi-Automatic Military-Style Assault Weapon" referes the SAR he keeps stashed in the corner behind the counter.

thanks

Note: Spell-checker wouldn't load!

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
According to 922r, you should be able to purchase anything that has been imported into the country post 1989, because of the import ban of "non-sporting" arms or the "feature count" from ATF, or post 1994, due to feature count of the "so called assault weapon ban". As you know, and they as well, they are not allowed by federal law, to sell any "so-called assault weapons", if there is such a thing, to any non LEO, by FEDERAL LAW since 1994!!!! Hello?

Therefore, it really can't be a "military styled assault rifle" as the term "assault rifle" by DOD definition, is a select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered, shoulder fired rifle capable of full automatic fire, or single shot fired with each pull of the trigger, ala' machinegun. Tell them to do the homework and get it right. My opinion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for your responses!  This is a link to a PDF file of the MN Firearms Regulations:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/firearms.pdf

This is the direct definition refered to by the text, which is similar/identical to the Federal definition under the 94 ban:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Invest/Documents/Firearms%20List.PDF

I don't know how to post a click-able link so you may have to copy and past.

thanks!

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Would your Dad be willing to buy the AK for you?  That might be the easiest way to go.

Good luck.  I'm lucky that I didn't get into the AR / AK / FAL shooting sports until I turned 21 and had the money to spend on these toys!

Brad
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Call various FFL's until you find one with a brain. Be patient, it may take awhile. Otherwise, can you purchase in WI? I know WI will allow it but I don't know about that communist bastion that you live in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, wish my kids could write a concise and knowledgeable statement like this young man has. Hell, I wish I could write that well too!
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]

A fact lost on most people:
the law doesn't specifically state that a "copy" of a named banned rifle isn't banned if it doesn't fit the requirements of an "assault weapon."

Damn, you're 18? I sure am glad you're gonna be using your talent for pro-gun stuff down the line.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
*sniff* reminds me of me at his age...
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#10]
why don't you get a news paper and look in the want ads for a private sale? that would be better anyways.

ian
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for your input, I guess I'm gonna have to keep looking around.  I would go through my dad but he's anti-AK, I guess because of the politcal weight it carries or something (him being a man who once owned a Walther P.38 with full wartime Nazi insignia!). I may actually have found some people I can deal with, fortunately.

thanks again, and sorry for the delay in responding on my own thread, as I was out of town hunting the mighty whitetail with my trusty Winchester 94.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top