AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
@AEnemaBay

Any luck finding the factory cheek riser?
View Quote

No. Apparently they were only made for the Ratnik trials as it was decided to drop them from general production. I'm working with someone to possibly recreate them on a very limited scale.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Man what a cool gun, I hope someday we will be able to buy these in America... probably never going to happen but man would it be cool.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

No. Apparently they were only made for the Ratnik trials as it was decided to drop them from general production. I'm working with someone to possibly recreate them on a very limited scale.
View Quote

I’d really like to get ahold of one of the AK19 pistol grips with integrated trigger guard.  Any chance your source could recreate that?
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Now your AK12 can be Zenitco accessorized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmvdQ5QOQk
View Quote

Already ordered one. Also have an MLOK rail on the way with a different adjustable gas plug.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Now your AK12 can be Zenitco accessorized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmvdQ5QOQk
View Quote

I just can't get on board with this. Might be functional, but aesthetically, it doesn't do it for me.

Incidentally, if anyone wants the measurements for the KC's unique QD system, feel free to message me. I picked up a set and they are (as mentioned earlier in this thread) different from the US standard.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#10]
Originally Posted By BlgSal:

I just can't get on board with this. Might be functional, but aesthetically, it doesn't do it for me.

Incidentally, if anyone wants the measurements for the KC's unique QD system, feel free to message me. I picked up a set and they are (as mentioned earlier in this thread) different from the US standard.
View Quote

I feel the same too about the looks. But it also looks very... Russian... to me. I'll be putting it on my AK-15. The MLOK one that's on the way is much more aesthetically pleasing (to me) and will go on the AK-12:

Not my rifle, but the rail is what I have on the way.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 7:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlgSal] [#11]

I feel the same too about the looks. But it also looks very... Russian... to me. I'll be putting it on my AK-15. The MLOK one that's on the way is much more aesthetically pleasing (to me) and will go on the AK-12:

https://i.imgur.com/oHlPBki.jpg
View Quote

Its interesting, and reminds me of some of the older SMG rails from a decade ago. Can't argue with you on the Russian look to it. They give zero-fucks as to what I find pleasing, and are usually utilitarian.

Speaking of your picture: One of the things that I wondered, is why they never went with a iron sight system that would co-witness with the western standard optics they love to run. I like your solution to the problem, but wish we had a FSB/GB with a higher post height.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Its interesting, and reminds me of some of the older SMG rails from a decade ago. Can't argue with you on the Russian look to it. They give zero-fucks as to what I find pleasing, and are usually utilitarian.

Speaking of your picture: One of the things that I wondered, is why they never went with a iron sight system that would co-witness with the western standard optics they love to run. I like your solution to the problem, but wish we had a FSB/GB with a higher post height.

View Quote

Oh, that's not my rifle. I was just showing the rail. The AK-12 FSB is already taller than standard. It would have to be almost comically tall to work with optics that would mount to the rail.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Oh, that's not my rifle. I was just showing the rail. The AK-12 FSB is already taller than standard. It would have to be almost comically tall to work with optics that would mount to the rail.
View Quote

It would make sense to have it tall enough to co-witness with an eotech or 1P87 or something similar would be what I would say. Right now, the system would co witness great with a micro dot (aimpoint or clone), but not the standard western gear or even much of the Russian/Belarusian optics I see coming out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I really wish someone like Zastava, EAA, could import AK-12 semi components into Turkey, Serbia, repackage them and ship them to the US. EAA imported Saigas originally. There has to be a way around the export rules. Mark the rifles “made in Serbia” etc
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#15]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#16]
Got the LAC rail. Feels great. I had to modify the barrel clamp because the Obstreperous AK-12 barrel has a larger diameter near the chamber end than what the LAC barrel clamp can accept. Something to keep in mind if you decide to get one and you are also using an Obstreperous barrel. If you do have one of those barrels and want to use this rail, you could turn it down on a lathe easily. I didn't because I already have it installed and headspaced. Easier to just toss the clamp on the mill and open it up.

The rail has a slot on either side that you can put the barrel mounted sling swivel and still utilize it:

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#17]
It is pretty slick looking! I wonder if there will be aftermarket support for it from US vendors.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 7:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#18]
It is pretty slick looking! I wonder if there will be aftermarket support for it from US vendors.
View Quote

I've asked Ivan Tactical and 4Shooters to stock them since they're LAC dealers. 4Shooters already has the gas plug so I imagine they're waiting on stock for the rail.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that is a sexy rifle
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]

I've asked Ivan Tactical and 4Shooters to stock them since they're LAC dealers. 4Shooters already has the gas plug so I imagine they're waiting on stock for the rail.
View Quote

I've dealt with both over the years. Thanks for putting in the leg-work! I actually like the fact it keeps the top rail consistent with the dustcover (unlike the zenitco offering which just looks stupid, and ruins the aesthetic). I haven't seen the one that SAG is testing yet, but that one will also keep the top rail apparently.

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#22]
The biggest advantage of the Vector gas plug is that it's toolless, but not as precise and it's a bit loose in the gas block. The LAC fits the gas block snugly and has finer adjustments, but requires a hex wrench to adjust. Both are very well made.

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:19:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#23]
Originally Posted By kLIMA:
I’d really like to get ahold of one of the AK19 pistol grips with integrated trigger guard.  Any chance your source could recreate that?
View Quote

Things are happening. Ignore the different color filament (ran out of one mid print) and the horrible print quality. Wanted to print it fast to make sure it will work and make tweaks before printing it nice:

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#24]
The biggest advantage of the Vector gas plug is that it's toolless, but not as precise and it's a bit loose in the gas block. The LAC fits the gas block snugly and has finer adjustments, but requires a hex wrench to adjust. Both are very well made.

https://i.imgur.com/wv9YzZWl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/be2grsZl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JEwU1Eql.jpg
View Quote

do they have a gas plug that works on an AK-74?

TY
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By heron163:

do they have a gas plug that works on an AK-74?

TY
View Quote

No. The AK-74 doesn't have a provision for a removable gas plug.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The LAC handguard looks like a really nice and functional upgrade.  The Zenitco AK-12 handguard may be functional but it kind of missed the mark on aesthetics.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

should have clarified to state a front gas block assembly that will replace the original and offer a removable plug... not having much luck from the first place I ordered from...
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#28]

should have clarified to state a front gas block assembly that will replace the original and offer a removable plug... not having much luck from the first place I ordered from...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think LAC does make some, but they install with set screws iirc.

Attachment Attached File

It isnt elegant, but you can always torque those things down and put a pin through it.

Does anyone make something similar that needs to be pressed on/pinned?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I recently picked up an AK12 kit, and for the welding a new trunnion to the gas tube retainer block part thingy, who did you send it to? My kit is still welded to the original (unfortunately demilled) trunnion, and I'm hesitant to just start milling and welding away.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Is that ruskie that was doing the lord's work get released from Russian prison?

Can I still get an AK-12 kit?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JoEnge1136:
I recently picked up an AK12 kit, and for the welding a new trunnion to the gas tube retainer block part thingy, who did you send it to? My kit is still welded to the original (unfortunately demilled) trunnion, and I'm hesitant to just start milling and welding away.
View Quote

@JoeEnge1136

Where did you get the kit?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I had M13 Industries weld mine. I didn't trust myself to do it since I don't have a tig welder yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DominicanGalil:

@JoeEnge1136

Where did you get the kit?
View Quote

Gunbroker

There is one or two on there right now I think for 1700 or 1800.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]

I had M13 Industries weld mine. I didn't trust myself to do it since I don't have a tig welder yet.
View All Quotes

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for when I decide what caliber I actually want to build it in.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IneptKomodo] [#35]
I got a hold of my kit and I'm missing some things that I was told it came with. A trigger group pin, the lower handguard pin and the safety selector. I'm fairly certain that the trigger pin (my kit came with one and was shown with two) isn't a big deal and the handguard retainer pin can be swapped with a 7mm stock pin, but how fucked am I without the selector? I messaged the seller (who is based in the US) but if I don't hear back from him I'm not sure what I'm going to do. A few Russian websites list parts like trigger group pins and retainer pins, but I can't find anyone selling the AK12 selector levers themselves.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a hold of my kit and I'm missing some things that I was told it came with. A trigger group pin, the lower handguard pin and the safety selector. I'm fairly certain that the trigger pin (my kit came with one and was shown with two) isn't a big deal and the handguard retainer pin can be swapped with a 7mm stock pin, but how fucked am I without the selector? I messaged the seller (who is based in the US) but if I don't hear back from him I'm not sure what I'm going to do. A few Russian websites list parts like trigger group pins and retainer pins, but I can't find anyone selling the AK12 selector levers themselves.
View Quote

You shouldn't be screwed if you don't get an AK-12 specific selector. You should be able to use a standard selector or something like a Krebs without issue. AK-12 selectors do show up on the Files sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:33:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IneptKomodo] [#37]

You shouldn't be screwed if you don't get an AK-12 specific selector. You should be able to use a standard selector or something like a Krebs without issue. AK-12 selectors do show up on the Files sometimes.
View Quote

I did find a Russian website that sells the parts I am missing so crisis averted if the guy doesn't have the parts he promised me.

What did you guys do about the bump rivet? I know most people wouldn't know but it would drive me up the wall visually if it doesn't look right. I was thinking of buying a bump rivet off russtock and copying the hole over to the new trunnion when I get it welded for the gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Any new information on rusguns guy?  What about the receivers from the guy thats more accurate( recreator) was it?  And barrels?  How do I get in touch with either of these gentlemen?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By LawDog205:
Any new information on rusguns guy?  What about the receivers from the guy thats more accurate( recreator) was it?  And barrels?  How do I get in touch with either of these gentlemen?

Thanks
View Quote

Parts kits out of Russia is going to be a no-go right now as is anything out of Russia.

Shipments have come to a screeching halt on all goods. Never mind firearms related items and payment systems.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:24:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#41]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:

Parts kits out of Russia is going to be a no-go right now as is anything out of Russia.

Shipments have come to a screeching halt on all goods. Never mind firearms related items and payment systems.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:
Originally Posted By LawDog205:

Thanks

https://www.rusgunmaster.com/product-page/parts-kit-for-ak12

Rusgunmaster appears to be up and running. However, I haven’t ordered from them in almost a year so who knows if the store is actually operational. Or if you order, whether any shipment will get through. I would err on the side of not trying to order anything and wait to see what happens.

Caveat emptor.

ETA: @LawDog205
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I can't help but feel it's vogue to shit on Russian equipment now. These kits have been in the US since at least 2020 the GT and other guys making videos then were all for it, and now suddenly it's complete shit? I'll agree there are some things that suck, like the selector and the pointless 2 round burst, but some of the things being repeated feel nitpicky and overblown. Maybe I'm just butthurt because I have a kit
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I can't help but feel it's vogue to shit on Russian equipment now. These kits have been in the US since at least 2020 the GT and other guys making videos then were all for it, and now suddenly it's complete shit? I'll agree there are some things that suck, like the selector and the pointless 2 round burst, but some of the things being repeated feel nitpicky and overblown. Maybe I'm just butthurt because I have a kit
View Quote

Spot on. It is part of the hysterical, anti-Russian trend that is sweeping the forums lately.

Real quickly, here are the major grievances and their fixes:

1: The handguard movement issue.  There are now four aftermarket handguards that can solve this problem.
2: The lack of a selector stop that prevents travel into the trigger area. There are plenty of selector stops that a home builder can swap out here. Since it is 99% likely you will build these into semi-auto rifles or pistols, I won't address the burst mechanism.
3: The placement of the sling loop. This is a non issue.

I respect each of these brave youtubers and their fans, so please don't flood my in-box with death threats.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I agree that most of the criticisms are exaggerated, but the top cover not holding zero is a disappointment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlgSal] [#46]
Originally Posted By p-dog:

I agree that most of the criticisms are exaggerated, but the top cover not holding zero is a disappointment.
View Quote

It is what it is. The newest factory generation (seen HERE) has two different handguard options, both aluminum, and both hold zero... so they have corrected the issue. But the older generation unit that has been fielded (the one we all have as a parts kit from demills) is easy to fix with any of the aftermarket options.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hooooon] [#47]

Spot on. It is part of the hysterical, anti-Russian trend that is sweeping the forums lately.

Real quickly, here are the major grievances and their fixes:

1: The handguard movement issue.  There are now four aftermarket handguards that can solve this problem.
2: The lack of a selector stop that prevents travel into the trigger area. There are plenty of selector stops that a home builder can swap out here. Since it is 99% likely you will build these into semi-auto rifles or pistols, I won't address the burst mechanism.
3: The placement of the sling loop. This is a non issue.

I respect each of these brave youtubers and their fans, so please don't flood my in-box with death threats.
View Quote
I can’t speak for the AK Guy, but the 9 hole reviews folks have struck me as very thoughtful and more interested in firearms than politics (I’ve interacted with Henry a good bit over email since offering to loan them some firearms they haven’t tested yet).  I think their criticisms are valid, particularly the part where the dust cover doesn’t hold zero.  To the builder in the U.S., this may not matter, but I would have a major problem if I were issued a rifle that didn’t hold zero.  

The 9 hole review criticism basically came down to “what does this do that an AK74m/100 series rifle with aftermarket parts doesn’t do better?”  Their argument was that Russia would have been better off updating the existing firearms with aftermarket components, vice adopting an entirely new rifle.  Maybe the 74m and 100 series manufacturing equipment is EOL so it was time to upgrade no matter what?

Again, for the folks wanting to build clones of the latest Russian military firearms, none of this is an issue.  It’s a good looking rifle and appears to be perfectly acceptable in the accuracy department.  There is already aftermarket support that fixes most of the problems with the issue weapons.  Can’t throw shade on anyone looking for a cool or unique AK build, given what I shoot my 2 gun matches with.  But I do think the criticisms leveled so far are valid.

That said, the new magazines are awesome.  Would love to have some of the 7.62x39 version.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By hooooon:
I can’t speak for the AK Guy, but the 9 hole reviews folks have struck me as very thoughtful and more interested in firearms than politics (I’ve interacted with Henry a good bit over email since offering to loan them some firearms they haven’t tested yet).  I think their criticisms are valid, particularly the part where the dust cover doesn’t hold zero.  To the builder in the U.S., this may not matter, but I would have a major problem if I were issued a rifle that didn’t hold zero.  

The 9 hole review criticism basically came down to “what does this do that an AK74m/100 series rifle with aftermarket parts doesn’t do better?”  Their argument was that Russia would have been better off updating the existing firearms with aftermarket components, vice adopting an entirely new rifle.  Maybe the 74m and 100 series manufacturing equipment is EOL so it was time to upgrade no matter what?

Again, for the folks wanting to build clones of the latest Russian military firearms, none of this is an issue.  It’s a good looking rifle and appears to be perfectly acceptable in the accuracy department.  There is already aftermarket support that fixes most of the problems with the issue weapons.  Can’t throw shade on anyone looking for a cool or unique AK build, given what I shoot my 2 gun matches with.  But I do think the criticisms leveled so far are valid.

That said, the new magazines are awesome.  Would love to have some of the 7.62x39 version.
View Quote

I see it differently, especially if those criticisms boil down to the handguard issue and the accuracy they were able to pull out of one rifle. Moreover, to me, the "what does it do better than X" question is somewhat mute as it is itself just a slightly more modernized AK100 series with what would be aftermarket parts built into it already.

100% agreement on the magazine, and I would like to see you post your competition rig at some point... but not in this thread as the OP is probably pissed this has become the AK12-mega-debate thread and we should keep it on track!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Things are happening. Ignore the different color filament (ran out of one mid print) and the horrible print quality. Wanted to print it fast to make sure it will work and make tweaks before printing it nice:

https://i.imgur.com/gMuhBjrl.jpg
View Quote

Any update on these??  Can't believe no one else got all excited about this!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CaliBoundAR15:

Any update on these??  Can't believe no one else got all excited about this!
View Quote

It's slowly moving along. I'm on my own with it at this point, and I'm not the best with CAD (but I'm getting better).
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top