Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 8:59:18 PM EDT
What is some good furniture to replace the crappy WASR wood for?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ironwooddesigns.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Real Russian plywood
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Surplus wood.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I put a Polish WBP laminated stock and handguard set on mine, albeit with a Magpul AK grip.  

A BIG improvement over the standard WASR set. Feels better since the WBP furniture is more substantial than the WASR set.

The stock did need fitting into the rear of the receiver, as well as the lower handguard in the front.

The WBP set makes it similar to the Polish AK that Atlantic sells.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Why no Magpul love?  https://www.magpul.com/search-results?PID=88&q=AK

They have plenty of nice options.

Tried them out at my local funshop.  Good stuff all around.  Grip, buttstocks, handguards, etc.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My WASR has the Magpul goodness. It looks just like the picture above this post.

I also have an Ultimak, Streamlight 1 cell light and a Primary Arms micro dot. I dig it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
kvar/bulgarian polymer is fairly cheap if you want standard looking stuff.

romanian laminate wood can look nice if you put some work into it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The lighting is bad and my camera is worse, but I swapped mine for Russian AKM laminate.

I would have used Romanian, but I don't like the feel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you talking about something like this? Is this the same furniture that typically comes on arsenals?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AKPSL-K.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you talking about something like this? Is this the same furniture that typically comes on arsenals?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AKPSL-K.html
View Quote
That's the plum colored polymer furniture, Arsenals typically have the same thing, but in black.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I like a mix. KVAR stock, Magpul Grip and East German Bakelite handguard.
Of course it doesn't look much like how it did when I first bought it Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a good looking rifle. Is that rifle dynamics?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Of course it doesn't look much like how it did when I first bought it https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/381888/IMG_0566-317348.JPG
View Quote
I agree. That is a nice looking WASR there. Definitely out of the ordinary. 

I watched the video clip posted here (forgot exactly what thread) of the Russian version of the US Shot-Show (military version) and the newest Russian AK rifle has that gas-block/sight-block combo. It looks odd compared to the traditional style AK and takes some getting use to, but apparently it is the latest advancements in the AK version of the basic Russian military rifle. 

Thanks for posting the pic...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys it's modeled after a rifle dynamics build but I don't have that kind of money lol. A local shop that specializes in AKs did the work, and a couple buddies suppplied the Bakelite. The WASR is my first AK so I've gone though a few different configurations trying to find what I liked the best, and this is by far my favorite. But the first thing I did was ditch the furniture that came with it, tried Magpul stuff and it's good gear, but I've found my balance of what works for me now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered the Arsenal upper and lower hand-guard for one of my Saigas. It already had the warsaw length US made black polymer stock and hand grip and the factory hand-guard. I figured I'd dress it up a bit more to look like a traditional AK. I'll post pics with I get it all together... 

Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I refinshed some that turned out ok. The wife got a deal on a timbersmith set for christmas years ago. It looks awesome but is very soft wood and dings easy. Sure feels good in the hands tho. Boyds mames some good stuff from what ive read online.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#17]
How bad is the WASR furniture? Can it be refinished? I refinished some furniture from a Romy G kit with BLO and it came out pretty good.
ETA:
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I got arsenal black plastic for one and elbow grease and stain /poly on another and like both
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I put K-Var plum synthetic furniture on my WASR. Magpul would be my second choice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#20]
OP:

I tried to send you a PM but you're not accepting them and the message bounced back. Please contact me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Of course it doesn't look much like how it did when I first bought it https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/381888/IMG_0566-317348.JPG
View Quote
I have that same gas block sitting on my bench, along with a Krebs safety lever, ALG trigger and ALG spring kit. I want to do a 14.5" pin/weld job on my WASR but I haven't settled on a muzzle device and/or screwed-up the courage to do it yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Put a Polish stock set on my SAR-1. Works very nicely, but the tang of the buttstock needed some pretty significant sanding to fit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the Hogue furniture (here with a KVAR buttstock)...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Romy G for me. No refinish. Just cleaned it up and stuck it on
by ,
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally I refinsihed the blonde wood that came on it. It's just shitty wood though. After looking around I went with the WBP Polish laminate wood set. Got just what I wanted.

WASR AK47 by X Ring, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Did the polish wood require any adjustments to fit it on the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, you have to file/sand it to fit. It comes oversized so you get a proper fit as each AK is different.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you have any fit problems? Did you stain or shellac your wood?   I have a Polish WBP set coming for my RAS47.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm gonna do at least one of mines in Russian sunburst
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did you have any fit problems? Did you stain or shellac your wood?   I have a Polish WBP set coming for my RAS47.
View Quote
Most stocks will require fitting. Don't rush it. As far as WBP. Meh...Those stocks don't compare to original, military production stocks.  Soft, and poor fitting, IE-
receiver to wood fit isn't the greatest. However, for a budget set of laminated wood, it's not horrible, and it does look nice.  Original, unissued Polish sets are going for $200.00
these days.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As far as WBP. Meh...Those stocks don't compare to original, military production stocks.  Soft, and poor fitting, IE-
receiver to wood fit isn't the greatest.
View Quote
It was my understanding that they are designed to be fit to your indicidual receiver. Once the wood work was done, the one I got has been great, not soft at all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It was my understanding that they are designed to be fit to your indicidual receiver. Once the wood work was done, the one I got has been great, not soft at all.
View Quote
I tried one out. It was terrible. I mean no disrespect to anyone that bought one, but in no way are these stocks comparable to original military production. There has been
a thread or two about them, and I certainly agree, after owning one, that WBP could have offered better.

As far as fit. The one that I had, and the photo's I've seen (Even those posted of Atlantic's WBP Polish rifle) show the edges of the receiver protruding over the wood. This should not be. Original
Polish laminate is thicker in this area, as is most military wood for several reasons, one of which is refurbishment if required.

It's not bad wood, it's just not true to the original, and I doubt any of it would hold up to the same kind of abuse that actual Polish laminate can.

When I get home tomorrow, I'll try to get PICS of the receiver to wood fit on actual Polish wood on a new WASR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe I got lucky because mine doesn’t sound like the same stock you described.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267223
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1.

Same here with the WBP stock set I put on my WASR. The only place I saw that the wood was protruding above the metal was on the rear tang.  I didn't mind that.  But the set does fill the hand better than the factory WASR furniture.  But mine needed some serious fitting in the tang area plus the drilling of stock screws.

That thread from the AKFiles has been dead for over a year and the one poster doesn't know the difference between plywood and a laminated stock.

But I have no doubt these WBP furniture sets are new production vs. actual mil-surplus. That doesn't matter to me since the WASR wood is pretty plain jane.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How bad is the WASR furniture? Can it be refinished? I refinished some furniture from a Romy G kit with BLO and it came out pretty good.
ETA:
http://i64.tinypic.com/30xj5m1.jpg
View Quote
Wrong mag. Chinese belong on Chinese.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Magpul MOE (Magpul Original Equipment)
It’s really good stuff
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Magpul MOE (Magpul Original Equipment)
It’s really good stuff
View Quote
The MOE stock comes with two tang screws. One long, one short. The short one is no good. Magpul should have provided two long screws.
The problem with the short one is for the rear tang. The screw doesn't grab the nut sufficiently for a secure fit. Size is 10-24X1/2 flat head for rear tang.
Button head for the screw underneath recoil spring.

Even with the proper screw size, and with the wedge locked down, all it takes is one smack on either side of the stock, and the wedge will get loose, enabling
the stock to slide right on out, leaving the screws and the nuts in the tang. Horrible, horrible design. I like the aesthetics of the stock, but it should have featured
a solid block like all other AK stocks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Most stocks will require fitting. Don't rush it. As far as WBP. Meh...Those stocks don't compare to original, military production stocks.  Soft, and poor fitting, IE-
receiver to wood fit isn't the greatest. However, for a budget set of laminated wood, it's not horrible, and it does look nice.  Original, unissued Polish sets are going for $200.00
these days.
View Quote
Got mine yesterday nice set. Of course it needs fitting on the lower fore end and buttstock.Not sure of stain yet maybe red chestnut with wipe on poly gloss. Upper handguard is reddish already.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top