Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 4:24:06 PM EDT
This is a Russian carrier I purchased from K-Var.  The sales people at K-Var are saying it's a semi auto carrier. However doesn't the "J hook" on the right side of the carrier mean it's a full auto carrier? If not, please explain why....
I would actually prefer it to be a F/A carrier for collectability reasons.

Link to item:  http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-046R.html

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be FA ...but I thought the auto-sear trip portion of the BC was a bit longer on the FA carriers. The semi. carriers were always lacking any sort of trace of the auto-sear trip as it had been completely milled off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The semi. carriers were always lacking any sort of trace of the auto-sear trip as it had been completely milled off.
View Quote

I believe those are like that because they started as full auto carriers and were converted. Factory semi carriers for Saigas and such are a little different.

His carrier doesn't look like any full auto carrier I've seen. A Google image search shows the difference pretty easily.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The sear trip area looks too thin. You can even see where the trip used to be longer based on the "step" that's machined.

Here's an unmodified Bulgarian carrier. Looking at other examples of semi-auto '74 pattern carriers it would seem that yours is definitely semi-auto:

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Might be FA ...but I thought the auto-sear trip portion of the BC was a bit longer on the FA carriers. The semi. carriers were always lacking any sort of trace of the auto-sear trip as it had been completely milled off.
View Quote

Exactly. This is what's causing the confusion.  I thought the presence of the "hook" means it's full auto.
I'm convinced it's full auto.
We need an expert in here to give a final answer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, I took out a few of my carriers. The top one is an unmodified Bulgarian AKS-74, the middle is an unmodified Bulgarian AKS-74u, and the bottom is from a Saiga (specifically made to be semi-auto). It seems pretty clear that yours is like the Saiga carrier, which would be too short to trip the sear arm exposed in the right rail:

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Alright, I took out a few of my carriers. The top one is an unmodified Bulgarian AKS-74, the middle is an unmodified Bulgarian AKS-74u, and the bottom is from a Saiga (specifically made to be semi-auto):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/Avtomat%20Kalashnikova/IMG_6552Large_zps0982af20.jpg
View Quote

That's the difference I was trying to talk about. Hard to get all descriptive on my phone. But His carrier doesn't have enough meat to trip the sear and release the hammer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's someone asking the same thing, and the verdict is that it's semi-auto. They're saying the same thing, that the tab on the Saiga carrier is too thin and cut at a 90 degree angle wouldn't allow full auto function even if you have the notched rail and sear trip installed.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/59845-full-auto-bolt-carrier-in-my-saiga/
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for the pictures and links.
Looks like it is indeed semi auto.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm actually learned that I have a FA carrier in my Bulgarian AK74. Guess that makes sense since I built it from a demilled kit.

Figured I was too old to learn something new.

Of course it means nothing without extra holes in the receiver....
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Here's someone asking the same thing, and the verdict is that it's semi-auto. They're saying the same thing, that the tab on the Saiga carrier is too thin and cut at a 90 degree angle wouldn't allow full auto function even if you have the notched rail and sear trip installed.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/59845-full-auto-bolt-carrier-in-my-saiga/
View Quote
love that avatar.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top