Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2010 11:19:59 AM EDT
I just got one of these in the mail from K-VAR:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16985&cat=318&page=1

However, I was hoping for something more like this:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pro10.html

or this

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/pro25.html

These slings have a bit more of a brownish tannish tint rather than a true OD green.  Are these an older issue?  They just seem more "right" somehow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Look on eBay or the sale section on the forums.  The tan ones pop up pretty frequently.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the Russian naval slings and picked up a few a while back.  Another option to possibly consider.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The one that K-VAR lists is actually leftover for the AKM rifles (or AKMS).  It's straight Olive Drab canvas.  The ones they used on the -74 going into Afghanistan and later into Chechnya (and I believe still on the AK-74M's that were used in the Georgia debacle) are a tan or khaki color.  Same exact design and cotton canvas construction with riveted hook but were just a different color.  It's the only difference.  If you're really aiming for accuracy that's the color you should go with.  

My experience is that they're difficult to find.  Maybe not as tough to find as a black polymer Izhmash 74 mag (and I don't mean a plum one that's been painted) but not easy to find in a steady supply, nonetheless.  I've been looking for one myself and ordered one from AA-OK.  It's supposed to be tan in color but I can't really tell from internet pics.  I literally paid my buck and took my chances.  I've got an Olive Drab Soviet issue on my AKMS clone and I've got one of those black ones that the Russian Navy uses on my AKS-74.  I ordered the tan one in order to roll back my AKS to reflect the "Afghan-era" look.  I've also got a plum PG and Soviet 74 handguards coming in.  Just for effect I've also got a Soviet field tourniquet for the back stock.  I'll have everything done within a few weeks and I'll post pics.  Hell, I'll even post 'em with the Russian NSPU scope on the top just for shits and giggles.  

In the meantime, you can check e-Bay and possibly have some luck.  It's your call, pal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've picked up a total of 4 tan slings with a buckle at each end from InterHunt on Gunbroker. He sells them for around 25 bucks.

Z
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If the one I have coming in isn't tan enough, Zen, I'm gonna see if I can hunt that guy down.  Yours are as tan as they get.  Straight outta the 80's as opposed to most of the ones I find which seem more out of the 70's and earlier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The one that K-VAR lists is actually leftover for the AKM rifles (or AKMS).  It's straight Olive Drab canvas.  The ones they used on the -74 going into Afghanistan and later into Chechnya (and I believe still on the AK-74M's that were used in the Georgia debacle) are a tan or khaki color.  Same exact design and cotton canvas construction with riveted hook but were just a different color.  It's the only difference.  If you're really aiming for accuracy that's the color you should go with.  

My experience is that they're difficult to find.  Maybe not as tough to find as a black polymer Izhmash 74 mag (and I don't mean a plum one that's been painted) but not easy to find in a steady supply, nonetheless.  I've been looking for one myself and ordered one from AA-OK.  It's supposed to be tan in color but I can't really tell from internet pics.  I literally paid my buck and took my chances.  I've got an Olive Drab Soviet issue on my AKMS clone and I've got one of those black ones that the Russian Navy uses on my AKS-74.  I ordered the tan one in order to roll back my AKS to reflect the "Afghan-era" look.  I've also got a plum PG and Soviet 74 handguards coming in.  Just for effect I've also got a Soviet field tourniquet for the back stock.  I'll have everything done within a few weeks and I'll post pics.  Hell, I'll even post 'em with the Russian NSPU scope on the top just for shits and giggles.  

In the meantime, you can check e-Bay and possibly have some luck.  It's your call, pal.

Are you saying that the straight up olive drab ones are older issue than the tan ones, or designed for AKMs, not AK74s?  I've been browsing Tantal's website quite a bit lately
http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/index.html
(be sure to bring the drooling towel––the pics are amazing)
and most of the slings pictured with the AK74s are tan, but I wasn't sure if that was Afgan-era issue or still current.  I did run across this one photo with a regular OD sling:

TX: That SGL-31 is gorgeous.  Is that plum furniture stock KVAR stuff or Russian?  Your sling is very yellow, by the way, almost a mustard color.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
You can look at it like this - the very early ones when the AK was young were OD green.  As time progressed, lighter shades seemed to pop up and the golden colored ones were fairly common in the 1980's.  They used both during their Afghan War.  Later, they seemed to have gone back toward mostly OD green.

Whether it makes a difference or not to most people, beware of the airsoft copies out there.  There are LOTS of the airsoft copy of the Russian AK sling floating around.  There's also the new-made golden colored Russian slings that have the military style stamps, but their fake.  It seems there are ingenious, capitalistic Russian vendors out there that know the collecting desire for such things and have found a great market online by selling the new-made/marked ones as "military."  Those new-made ones have that definate "new" look to them.

If you want an original golden-colored one with the Afghan War era dates, check with AA-OK, Gunbroker, and eBay.  You'll know its real by the style of stamp on it.  It'll likely be the white recatngular "painted" style with a 1980's date.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine from AA-OK.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks good.  I assume it is the real deal?  I may have to go that route.  What kind of rifle do you have there?  Original Russian furniture?

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks good.  I assume it is the real deal?  I may have to go that route.  What kind of rifle do you have there?  Original Russian furniture?

AA-OK say it is. It has the Russian stamp on the sling.

The rifle is a bulgarian kit built by InRange. The furniture is Russian from rusmilitary.com.

ETA: Oh and I have to say out of my Colt 6920, M16A4 clone and my 74...my friends/family all like shooting the 74 the most!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top