Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:52:31 PM EDT
I'm a new AK owner and I was trying to decide if I should get a scope or a Red Dot sight like a Kobra.

I want a good versatile optic that I can use for shots from 25-100 yards with good accuracy. Would I get more versatility with a Red Dot sight? Any opinions would be great. Also if you have had any experience positive or negative please list them also.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What Kalashnikov variant do you own and in what caliber?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a 2002 Romanian SAR-1 (7.62x39)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Without question go for the Kobra.  At that range the AK is devastating.  The best  way to take advantage of its strenghts is with some type of red dot.  The kobra is russian, so is the AK, makes sense right?  My 2001 SAR-1 is awesome with the kobra.  Offhand shooting out to 100 yards, its fully capable of hitting a torso sized target easily.  I have taken it one step further and have hit 6"x12" railroad tie steel plates at greater than 100 with it.  You cant beat the kobra or other red dots for situational awareness either, both eyes open, full view of your area, cant beat it.  Dont waste your money on cheap red dots, the recoil of the AK will break em all, belive me ive wasted hundreds on inadaquate sights, get the Kobra, then when you have the scratch get a 4x PSOP russian scope for when you want to take the weapon out further.  The AK is often overlooked in the accuracy department, in no way am i calling it anything more than acceptably accurate, but i think youll be impressed.  Remember, it was only designed to hit a torso sized target at 300 yards.  Most combat occurs much closer than that (incidentaly so does most range shooting hehe).  If you get the bird up your ass you might try mouting an EOTech in a scout mount setup on an Ultimak gas tube rail, but for that price you can get the Kobra and a russian scope.  Have fun man.  Enjoy the SAR  let us know how it turns out.

AR's are more reliable than you might think, but remember, AK's are more accurate than you might think.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Kobra.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info,

I'm a AR guy by trade, but after seeing the AK's in action in Afghanistan I wanted to try one out. Plus the price for a AR pushed me away. Everyone around me was telling me to stay away from an AK, but after my friend (with his so called sniper rifle) and I went out. I was punch tighter holes with my Iron sights on my AK then his scoped rifle. I was impressed. I could easily have a good tight shot pattern at 100 yards.

I think I'll look into a Kobra... What is the price range for those? And who should I buy from?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
KalinkaOptics

All kinds there.

I bought the PK-AS and think it rocks but I am interested in a Kobra as well. I believe Tomac has hands on experience with the Kobra, maybe he can offer some insight.

Z
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Now my next question is... should I mount the Kobra from the Side Mount bracket? Or would it be better to mount to a weaver type rail on the gas tube? Will both hold zero?

I'm leaning towards the Side mount because it would seem like it would hold more securely and in the same place.

Thanks for all of the help.

Does anyone know why Tantals sight doesn't list prices or is it one of those "to low to list" places??
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Tantal's prices depend on what he can get from eastern europe. Things like AKM furniture, Dragunov parts and other speciality items can vary in price, but he will send you an up to date list via email if you ask him.

Personally I would use the Kobra with the side rail but thats because I like that style. It might make more sense to mount it straight over the gas tube, but I couldn't say how durable it will be.

Z
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have and use both the PK-AS & 'AA' siderail Kobra. Both have their strengths & weaknesses. If going w/the Kobra I'd suggest either of the siderail versions (I prefer the AA version 'cause I have tons of rechargeables) to keep the weight more balanced and the controls closer at hand. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now my next question is... should I mount the Kobra from the Side Mount bracket? Or would it be better to mount to a weaver type rail on the gas tube? Will both hold zero?

Use the side mount, that's what it's designed for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Side mount definately, if you have it, use it, it will retain zero every time even when removed from the weapon, you just have to make sure it mounts good and tight, and slide the Kobra all the way on  the rail until it stops.  The gas tube setup is the next best option, but since you have the rail, i would definatly go with that, kinda funny how the ruskies recognized the need for, and came up with, a quick detach mount that re-zeros before we did.  They are alot of things, but they arent stupid.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I contacted Tantal and they replied back pretty fast. I think I'm going to go with the Kobra on the side mount (maybe I can talk my wife into buying it for me as a anniversay gift....)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
AR's are more reliable than you might think, but remember, AK's are more accurate than you might think.

Behold!  A wise man!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Behold!  A wise man!

+1, that's probably one of the most honest statements I have ever seen on this site.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks guys, just trying to be realistic about it, if i had the option tho, i would take the ak most likely, due to ammo and magazine availablility all over the world, plus if i didnt get the chance to clean it, meh, no worries. LOL
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top