Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 8:56:22 PM EDT
Need someone to chime in and suggest a solution; I pulled a "duh" moment.  Am retired military so feel like a dufus.  Looking forward to the different thoughts & opinions . . .

1. Bought first AK-47, Century Arms RAS47
2. Bought their AK Micro Dot Side mount (from local guy) - with the intent to put a Vortex SPARC II on it
Side note:  So I'm in
3. Went to Tactical this past weekend here in Seattle, and found the Vortex Spitfire - that has green dots.  Vortex guy said mount would work, may need to get a picatinny rail adapter for it
4. Bought the Vortex Spitfire immediately, as I'm color challenged and the green reticle is far easier on my eye.  Like the scope a lot
5. Went shopping locally to gun/tacticle shops and no one has picatinny rail - one that marries the micro dot mount, with the Vortex.  Both shops suggested I look at different scope (SPARC II) or find a new mount
Side note:  I just want adapter, again really like the scope
6.  Looked up Primary Arms and called them, they sell adapter, but at nearly the same price as the original mount ($80) - so I'd be in for a total of $160 for the mount alone

So . . . what are your thoughts if I really want to keep the scope?  Are there other adapters out there (I've sent email and left voicemail at Century Arms)?  Any cheaper adapter out there I'm not aware of?  Do I cut my loss on the Century Arms mount and get another?  Do I accept a SPARC II, although no longer desired?  What would you do?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
tl;dr
Sell the Century mount and get one that is for the Vortex Spitfire

I don't have any of those rifles, mounts or optics but after doing some research it looks like you bought the Century mount that is intended to be used with a standard screw pattern red dot like an Aimpoint or Primary Arms MRD, but you bought a picatinny Vortex Spitfire instead

Nothing wrong with liking the Spitfire but you will need to change the side mount to accommodate it. There may be micro red dot screw pattern to picatinny adapters out there but I don't recall seeing them. Could be tricky to find it if it exists, IMO it's better to buy the right side mount rather than hunt for an additional piece that is a compromise solution.

What you need is a side mount that already has a picatinny rail on top - and there are zillions of choices, so no worries there.

If it was me I would go with the RS Regulate, a Russian NPZ mount or something similar. Those are the best options on the market bar none though they are not the cheapest...I don't know what you intend to do with this rifle though or how important quality is to you.  

Sounds like it's just a range toy so in that vein any decent mount will work, just find something that already has the picatinny rail on top. http://russianoptics.net/mounts.html

Welcome to the forum, and to the Dark Side

Z
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good put.  

Thanks for responding.

In between when I posted and your response I contacted by Century Arms and Primary Arms.  Primary Arms made a recommendation on a top mount that will bridge the two.  It's for $75 though, which is cheaper than another complete mount.

I realize it's all on me, but there's the solution albeit a bit more than I wanted to spend total on a mount.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top