Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
What receiver is that rifle built on?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nds3
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are some pics from the first batch of finished YUGO covers.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey Rafaga

Any update on a new peep sight?

Ok, now that the Yugo cover is done and the PSL cover is almost done I can start putting some time into sighting options. I'm thinking along the following lines:

1) Basic peep sight;  available now.

2) To be developed; maybe a basic flip up/down sight without windage or elevation adjustment. The idea here is that it fits under the lens housing of a scope and takes up minimal space.  Nice and simple, and cost effective something like the Gen1 sight on page 15 of this thread. When folded that one is only 1/4" above the rail surface. We'll make it a little smoother and nicer in shape though.

3) To be developed; a higher end full featured sight with windage and elevation adjustments. Maybe graduated in 100 meter increments like the original leaf. A sight like this will likely take up substantially more space than the basic sights and may not work with some optics. A tradeoff like any other.

Any input or examples of what you like should make for some good discussion before we start cutting metal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I like options 2 & 3.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like options 2 & 3.

We'll do them both actually. Just looking to get some feedback on specific details of what people would like.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like options 2 & 3.

We'll do them both actually. Just looking to get some feedback on specific details of what people would like.

I'm really interested in option #2.  Just a basic flip-up sight that gets out of the way so you can have an uncluttered RDS picture.  Maybe have it so the sight is on the last rail so when it folds down it is really low––as in below or level with the rail??  Lightweight and simplicity I think is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll likely purchase a rail as soon as option 2 is avauilable. Tom me this rail shines with a magnified optic, but looses the luster when the BUIS requires the scope to be mounted higher.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Rafaga,
It's been a while since I've checked in here and man am I glad I did.  That Yugo rail/cover system rocks.  Nice work.  Keep it up!

Wes
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
3) To be developed; a higher end full featured sight with windage and elevation adjustments. Maybe graduated in 100 meter increments like the original leaf. A sight like this will likely take up substantially more space than the basic sights and may not work with some optics. A tradeoff like any other.

Any input or examples of what you like should make for some good discussion before we start cutting metal.

Perhaps something like the top section on this flip up rear sight, that pivots on the rear of the cover, but with a lower vertical profile:
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
How about an H&K style sight that is calibrated for the AK?

Or an option for me to send my top cover to you (or order directly from you) with a hole drilled and tapped for the Chaos H&K sight so I don't lose my warranty
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I put about 500 rounds through my rifle after installing the top cover, and love the setup so far. However, when I opened the cover to clean the rifle after my last training session, I noticed that the pin that holds the buffer to the button came loose and the buffer fell off. Is this even an issue, or should I just go ahead and run the rifle without the buffer?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I put about 500 rounds through my rifle after installing the top cover, and love the setup so far. However, when I opened the cover to clean the rifle after my last training session, I noticed that the pin that holds the buffer to the button came loose and the buffer fell off. Is this even an issue, or should I just go ahead and run the rifle without the buffer?

Contact TWS via email and it will be replaced with the latest button revision. The buffer design didn't work out for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]
A few good suggestions so far on the rear sights. Of course I have my own ideas on how and when to use the irons but, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Tell me how you train and why your preference for a particular type of sight.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Have a question...

What kind/brand of stock set on the illustrated Yugo?

The front handguard set looks neat.....

Just different....
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A few good suggestions so far on the rear sights. Of course I have my own ideas on how and when to use the irons but, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Tell me how you train and why your preference for a particular type of sight.

I live in a heavily wooded area, which tends to make shooting with iron sights more difficult because of variable lighting conditions. With the notch and post AK sights, I can do well if there's sun light, but if my targets are set up in the shade of the trees, I find it harder to keep the sights aligned while still seeing the outline of the target, it pretty much turns into a big blur. I had the opportunity to shoot a M1 Garand that someone else brought along and found the peep sights on it to be much more natural feeling and easier to use. The HK drum sight looks like it would work well, however, I've never used one before.

Perhaps a flip-up drum sight with a notch battle setting and then, as mentioned above, 100m increment apertures?

Someone has made something like it for a different platform:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?419-Brownells-HK-Style-Flip-Up-Sight
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Need some help...I have my TWS top cover installed on a Vepr, but the Vepr recoil spring is the solid RPK type, not the wire AKM type.  I'm a bit loath to replace it...what do you all think?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Need some help...I have my TWS top cover installed on a Vepr, but the Vepr recoil spring is the solid RPK type, not the wire AKM type.  I'm a bit loath to replace it...what do you all think?

Replace it.  You can get the 2nd half guide wire and spring retainer from TWS.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Have a question...

Just different....

That's the factory furniture that comes on Zastava PAPs.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
So, I've been keeping up with this thread for a while now, just lurking, so I know of the dogleg. Anyhow, I was bored and reading about AK's when I stumbled into info that the Russians have begun testing the AK-200 series. I poked around some more, and stumbled onto this page (http://www.gunblog.com/ak-200-rifle-the-next-generation-ak/comment-page-1/), which has several pictures of some prototypes, and the first thing I thought back to when I saw pictures 3 and 4 was "Holy crap. That thing's got a Gen2 Dogleg on it!" It seems like they've totally done away with the button on the back of the top cover though...

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been looking at the ACOG's with a BDC in 7.62x39.  Anybody figured out how to get one mounted on the dog leg rail and still keep a decent cheek weld?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
The ACOG, like the EoTech were designed for the flat top receiver, like on an AR. The AK stock has too much drop to it to get a good cheek weld with those sights. You could run an AR type of stock & probably get away with it, but you'd still likely need some sort of riser or cheek pad. The simple answer is to leave those style sights to the AR's. Of course someone will reply that they run one without any problems. So there you are.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen the vltor AR stock adapter + CTR + CTR cheek riser used
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've seen the vltor AR stock adapter + CTR + CTR cheek riser used

Save your money.

Adding a $20 Blackhawk cheek pad will allow you to run high-mounted scopes on an AK.
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Rifle-Cheek-Pad,605,1406.htm
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been looking at the ACOG's with a BDC in 7.62x39.  Anybody figured out how to get one mounted on the dog leg rail and still keep a decent cheek weld?

Besides the cheeck weld issue. You are gonna run into problems with the BDC, if you don't get the ACOG the same height ove rthe bore that the BDC was designed for. I think an ACOG is set up for 1.5" over the center of the bore on ARs, so what you really need to do is get the ACOG set up to be the same height over the bore of an AK, as it is over the bore on the rifle it was designed for. Not to mention, twist rate will have an effect on the BDC, since twist rate effects velocity.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Have a question...

Just different....

That's the factory furniture that comes on Zastava PAPs.

Thanks for that information, I will be on the lookout for those handguards!
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Can anyone tell me if TWS's rail for either the  Saiga 308 or PSL would fit a VEPR 308?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if TWS's rail for either the  Saiga 308 or PSL would fit a VEPR 308?

Thanks!  

Is there a PSL version available?  I must have missed something

I believe the saiga 308 receiver is pretty much the same dimensions as a standard ak.  If the vepr is you should be ok.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  

Is there a PSL version available?  I must have missed something

I believe the saiga 308 receiver is pretty much the same dimensions as a standard ak.  If the vepr is you should be ok.

Not available, but coming soon according to their website:

"PSL Models: PSL specific rail will be available end of October 2011.
                  Email us if you would like to be contacted when available."
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks!  

VEPR uses an RPK receiver, so use the standard DogLeg and fit at the trunion with the trusty Dremel.

Link Posted: 10/12/2011 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#32]
How much does this add in weight to the AK?   Also does it work with the old Docter reflex or burris fastfireII ?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  

VEPR uses an RPK receiver, so use the standard DogLeg and fit at the trunion with the trusty Dremel.

Thanks Avatar!
Warming up the Dremel...
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How much does this add in weight to the AK?   Also does it work with the old Docter reflex or burris fastfireII ?

The standard dogleg rail adds virtually zero weight to your rifle.  It weighs around 4.2 oz if I recall correctly––identical in weight to the stock receiver cover on my SGL-31.  In fact, if you factor in the weight of the rear sight leaf, it may actually subtract weight from your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got my yugo version in today, mounted up with no problems. Quite happy :) Ill post some pics soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi All,

Just finished up the new PSL version of the cover. Here are some pics of the prototype.

In these close ups you can see the rear trunnion bulge that was necessary to clear the wider PSL receiver. The hole in the side is a window that allows me to check internal clearance.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hi All,

Just finished up the new PSL version of the cover. Here are some pics of the prototype.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k552/TexWeapSys/IMAG0035.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k552/TexWeapSys/IMAG0044.jpg

In these close ups you can see the rear trunnion bulge that was necessary to clear the wider PSL receiver. The hole in the side is a window that allows me to check internal clearance.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k552/TexWeapSys/IMAG0046.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k552/TexWeapSys/IMAG0047.jpg

STOP MAKING THINGS I WANT!
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Hi All,

My PSL needs this.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Is it normal for the rail to be sloping downward toward the front of the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I think that is an illusion, I don't think he would miss that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#41]
its not drooping, the dust cover is just that long where it looks like it is

Got any pictures with a scope mounted so we can get an idea of what it looks like?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi All,

My PSL needs this.

Do you still do 'beta' on the new models or jump straight into production?

Whats the ETA?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It may be because the cover is angled a bit on the bottom, so makes it look like the rails are too. Is anyone else's like this?
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Can you make one for POLISH TANTAL?
There are a lot of tantal users out there who could benefit from a rail.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#45]
The current dog leg mount will fit the Tantal, so no waiting.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be because the cover is angled a bit on the bottom, so makes it look like the rails are too. Is anyone else's like this?

Yes mine appears to slop down a little towards the front. I'm not sure if it really does or it's an illusion or if it matters. My holosight sits flat & zeroed just fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The current dog leg mount will fit the Tantal, so no waiting.

That is what I thought.. Untill I tried to put it on and it was 1/2" too short.......
Lucky I got a lot of AK's that I could put that rail on.
So, can we get a special version made for Tantal? P-P-P-PLEASE?
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#48]
What?  They are the same length as a standard AKM top cover.  I just swapped one out from a Tantal to a Romanian AK.

Gen 1 Dog Leg Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qiorHst0Jc
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That is what I thought.. Untill I tried to put it on and it was 1/2" too short.......[\quote]

You did extend it out at the RSB, right?

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#50]
eh.... I think I just realized what the problem is..
I have a lot of Yugos so I ordered a Yugo rail thinking the only difference is the spring guide.. So If I did not like it on a Tantal, I would put it on a Yugo..
Now I see that Yugo reciever is shorter then standard AKMS reciever... So the rail that I got was shorter. ]

Thanks. Time to order another one!
Page / 44
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top