Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 7:17:51 PM EDT
I'll be going back to TX on vacation and am thinking of picking up a 12 yr old crate of it that has been at my dad's house for years. I pulled 1 bullet yrs ago and verified that it is indeed steel core. It is also non corosive. I sold my AK47 and now only have a SKS. Should I shoot it, sell it or trade it. I seldomly shoot my SKS. What is it really worth? I paid $100.00 for it 10 trs ago
thanks Billy
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the same stuff from my local gunstore 2 months ago for $150.  Packed in the original crate just like yours.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It really depends I've found some for 100 sometimes and buy it but I wont pay more then new stuff costs. However you might be able to sell it for more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
People get all hyped up about Chicom steel core 7.62x39 ammo. Its just that, Hype. A mild steel core is used in some ammo because of manufacturing methods, not to improve penetration. True AP 7.62x39 ammo is illegal, and pointless. Testing found that adding a steel penetrator core to 7.62x39 ammo provided a neglible increase in performance which hardly justified the increase of manufacturing cost. This ammo may have a steel core, however it does nothing to aid in penetration. Its not "steel core" AP ammo, though I have seen people paying a premium price for this ammo because they don't understand this fact. You may be able to prey on someone who gets hyped up about the steel core and gouge them and buy a bunch of Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't that the copper washed stuff that smells (more so than others) really bad ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought that ATF declared ALL steel core ammo verboten regardless of actual AP capability.  Illegal to own, sell what ever, with a pretty hefty penalty per round sold or possessed.  Did this change or did I get some misinformation?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought that ATF declared ALL steel core ammo verboten regardless of actual AP capability.  Illegal to own, sell what ever, with a pretty hefty penalty per round sold or possessed.  Did this change or did I get some misinformation?  Thanks.

If you are NOT a (FFL) licensee under the Gun Control Act (an individual):
ok to OWN AP ammo
ok to SELL AP ammo
ok to BUY AP ammo
ok to SHOOT AP ammo
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You are misimformed as Osprey21 is correct the only thing a individual can't do with AP bullets or ammo is make it.
Non AP steel core rifle ammo can be imported and sold with out any restrictions except 7.62x39mm which was reclassifed as AP ammo in Feb,1994 by the BATF.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top