Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2017 12:11:34 AM EDT
Gun is in excellent condition, a collector item, and I don't want to use nasty ammo in it, if that even matters. I like cleaning guns, I just don't want the gas tube filled with excrement that leaves stains. I'm really short on cash, so it has to be the cheap stuff though. Basically, what is the best among the cheap stuff? Budget is $100, and I want to get at least 500 rounds. I was hoping to find like 700 for that price, but I suppose that's wishful thinking. Maybe I can find some second hand?

Also, I'm loving learning about AK imports and such. Does anyone else like watching extensive info like Mishaco's videos? If so...linky?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Jeebus.... Its an SAR1.  Feed it anything.  

Ive shot cases of Wolf through mine.  Back when it was $99/1000.  

Now l shoot Wolf or Tula.  Mine isn't picky at all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeebus.... Its an SAR1.  Feed it anything.  

Ive shot cases of Wolf through mine.  Back when it was $99/1000.  

Now l shoot Wolf or Tula.  Mine isn't picky at all.
View Quote
I know, I know. But it's 17 years old and has probably only been shot 100 times. I want to keep it looking new. Yea, probably a silly idea. As long as it isn't corrosive then it probably doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know, I know. But it's 17 years old and has probably only been shot 100 times. I want to keep it looking new. Yea, probably a silly idea. As long as it isn't corrosive then it probably doesn't matter.
View Quote
Any of the new production commercial 7.62 x 39 is non corrosive and you will put some wear on it shooting it. Just enjoy it.  You treat an AR like a prom queen, an AK like a biker chick. 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:I know, I know. But it's 17 years old and has probably only been shot 100 times. I want to keep it looking new. Yea, probably a silly idea. As long as it isn't corrosive then it probably doesn't matter.
View Quote
no, it really doesn't. If the battlefield vegas guys can't shoot out a Romy bbl, it's safe to say that you can't either. Use it and abuse it, those romanian AKs can take it and they'll beg for more.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gun is in excellent condition, a collector item, and I don't want to use nasty ammo in it, if that even matters. I like cleaning guns, I just don't want the gas tube filled with excrement that leaves stains. I'm really short on cash, so it has to be the cheap stuff though. Basically, what is the best among the cheap stuff? Budget is $100, and I want to get at least 500 rounds. I was hoping to find like 700 for that price, but I suppose that's wishful thinking. Maybe I can find some second hand?

Also, I'm loving learning about AK imports and such. Does anyone else like watching extensive info like Mishaco's videos? If so...linky?
View Quote

If this is the case, then corrosive ammo is not going to be an issue.  Shoot the cheapest ammo you can locate (corrosive or not).  You aren't going to hurt the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a very nice sar1 i picked up at a yard sale with 1k rds for a mere 100 dollars...its my shooter.  i run it on the front of my atv, its gets muddy,wet and fired.   eats any ammo that i throw at it.  havent cleaned it in many years
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know that it's an AK, right?

If there is one firearm that was ever meant to look battle worn in its naturally occurring state, it's the AK.

None of the current production stuff rolling out of Eastern Europe is corrosive. And the genuine surplus ammo can sell for more than current production ammo because it might be steel core (which survivalist want to hang onto for WTSHTF) plus there is a burgeoning collector's market for obscure mil-surp AK related gear.

So modern production is probably going to be the cheapest x39 on the market. Unfortunately, while x39 ammo is usually the cheapest ammo you can find relative to any other centerfire rifle caliber, it isn't as cheap as it used to be. And it's still in such demand in the private market that sellers don't have to discount it much to move it.

You can look online at per round prices. If you can snag some for that same per round price without paying sales tax or shipping, it's probably worth buying without holding out for a penny or two savings per round.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My SAR-1 eats anything I stuff in it.  I clean it after every outing.  It looks brand new.  I had the barrel threaded a few years ago and the gunsmith said it looked almost unfired.  I had over 10K rounds through it of what ever was on sale at the time at that point.  Keep it clean and it will stay clean regardless of what you use.  If you are going to get all "safe queen" on us.  Go Golden Tiger from SGAmmo.  I have found that to be the cleanest and in the same ball park for price.  Maybe $5-10 more than Wulf when on sale.  Stack it deep and you will be set.

Best bet - put a dress on it and keep it in the safe.  Then buy another SAR and run the shit out of it like they were designed for...
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then sell it and invest in stamps or gold. The AK is a rifle.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top