Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 1:01:50 PM EDT
I have access right now to an oxy/acetylene torch, but it's not at my house - it's at the garage where I bend my flats and do my welding.  I have several AK's to build.  Is there a compelling reason that I use a MAPP torch, such as less chance of damage, or is the acetylene torch superior?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a $49 MAPP/Oxy setup; most of the stuff I do around the house I can do just fine with either propane or my butane torch so, although I'm sure I could use it, I don't really have a pressing need for a MAPP torch.

Soooo... can anyone tell me either why a MAPP/Oxy torch is the shiznit and I just gotta have one, or is the acetylene/oxy (free but slightly inconvenient) the way to go?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with anything that will quickly heat the metal to the desired temp.  Oxy acetylene works just fine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
you can use either

people use the mapp cause it costs less

use what you got
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  I just saw MAPP being promoted everywhere, and wondered if the acetylene was too hot for it and maybe the MAPP was more foolproof.

How's the flaming brake fluid work for tempering?  Or should I use the torch for it too?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a hand held torch with Mapp gas 1st, then switched to a propane tank for 2nd heat treat
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top