Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:04:55 AM EDT

i've been getting together all my stuff for my first build (rivet, polish underfolder), and it seems i was lucky enough to get a kit the the barrel pin just didn't want to come out of...

a whole bunch of runined punches and assorted bolts later we got the pin out with a 20 ton press just about maxed. after the pin dropped out, i was looking at the trunion and rear sight bese area, and noticed that in the process of trying to beat that pin out, it looks like i tweaked the rear sight base.

so, am i screwed? are there parts available to fix this? i'm going to have to take the gas port and front sigh off now too. anyone have a similar problem with advice?

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:18:04 AM EDT
have done that on one before and just knocked it back straight once i put it together...it has stayed so far
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By getit:
have done that on one before and just knocked it back straight once i put it together...it has stayed so far

you just hit it back with a hammer? cool. did it screw anything else up, like the gas tube fit?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:50:56 PM EDT
I've had that happen. Pushed it back. No problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:45:14 AM EDT
Yep same thing happened on a Polish barrel I did for a friend.

The rear sight bent in a little as I didnt have it suppoted properly when I pressed it out.

I just used the press and a hammer to strainten her out.

Dont worry it will be fine.

FREE
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:49:21 AM EDT
I also have done that...

Just knocked it back, no prob.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:49:17 AM EDT
May I reply gentlemen . . . .

I have discovered that if you first soak the barrel pin, and the barrel stub (where is slides into the trunnion) in a good penetrating oil for a few days before you attempt to remove them the process goes much easier !

I have removed the pins and barrels in over 15 AK kits and if soaked in penetrating oil FIRST is goes with ease.

Matter of fact . . . only about half the time have I had the use of a press. Just last night my son and I removed two pins and barrels from AK kits, and did not use a press. (one was a AMD-65 kit and the other was a Romy kit).

Can you remove the pin and barrel without a press -- YES ! But the press makes it much easier.

And good penetrating oil works with either method. I'm real partial to Kroil penetrating oil . . .
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:14:29 AM EDT
I love AKs, bend the site base? Just take a freaking hammer to it, it will be fine! hhaaa
Top Top