Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:04:55 AM EDT

i've been getting together all my stuff for my first build (rivet, polish underfolder), and it seems i was lucky enough to get a kit the the barrel pin just didn't want to come out of...

a whole bunch of runined punches and assorted bolts later we got the pin out with a 20 ton press just about maxed. after the pin dropped out, i was looking at the trunion and rear sight bese area, and noticed that in the process of trying to beat that pin out, it looks like i tweaked the rear sight base.

so, am i screwed? are there parts available to fix this? i'm going to have to take the gas port and front sigh off now too. anyone have a similar problem with advice?

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
have done that on one before and just knocked it back straight once i put it together...it has stayed so far
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
have done that on one before and just knocked it back straight once i put it together...it has stayed so far

you just hit it back with a hammer? cool. did it screw anything else up, like the gas tube fit?

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had that happen.  Pushed it back.  No problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep same thing happened on a Polish barrel I did for a friend.

The rear sight bent in a little as I didnt have it suppoted properly when I pressed it out.

I just used the press and a hammer to strainten her out.

Dont worry it will be fine.

FREE
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I also have done that...

Just knocked it back, no prob.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
May I reply gentlemen . . . .

I have discovered that if you first soak the barrel pin, and the barrel stub (where is slides into the trunnion) in a good penetrating oil for a few days before you attempt to remove them the process goes much easier  !

I have removed the pins and barrels in over 15 AK kits and if soaked in penetrating oil FIRST is goes with ease.

Matter of fact . . . only about half the time have I had the use of a press.  Just last night my son and I removed two pins and barrels from AK kits, and did not use a press.  (one was a AMD-65 kit and the other was a Romy kit).  

Can you remove the pin and barrel without a press -- YES  !   But the press makes it much easier.

And good penetrating oil works with either method.  I'm real partial to Kroil penetrating oil . . .
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I love AKs, bend the site base?  Just take a freaking hammer to it, it will be fine!  hhaaa
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top