Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:06:26 PM EDT
Damn this ae giving me a headache. I have removed them from 3 of my kits and only messed up 3 drill bits.. I have been drilling them out and then hitting them with a pin punch. I have broken a coupe ad they keep getting stuck. I have drilled them out with 3/16 and 11/64. the punchs often get stuck. This has been a major pain in y ass. Are there any tricks that i am mising?
Thanks
Jimmy
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 9:24:01 PM EDT by NeedMoreAmmo]
I use a drill press and clamp the trunion securely. Then I start with a smaller bit, like 1/8 and lots of cutting oil. Drill halfway, a little at a time, flip the trunion, drill through. Make sure you don't just blast the hole; drill a little then bring the bit up to clear the shavings and add some more oil. Then switch to a slighly larger bit and repeat. And then a larger bit, etc... Make sure your bits are sharp. Obviously don't work up to a bit that's too big for the rivet hole.

Eventually the rivet will spin out and leave a nice clean hole. No punching needed.

Lots of cutting oil and allow the bit to cool. No oil and blasting a hole all the way through will bust a bit for sure.

Edited because my spelling-fu is weak tonight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 9:21:44 PM EDT by Tommy2399]
I keep breaking punches and found a cheaper way. Grind rivits flush and then drill one side almost all the way through and then use big nails (10 penny ?) put in hole and hit with a 3lb hammer.

It does ruin the nail though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/24/2006 9:24:21 PM EDT by getit]
yes drill halfway thru then flip it over that way u wont be to far off from center AND u dont have the middle of the bit wanting to break
i never had any trouble til the last one i did...reason i had trouble was i got in a hurry!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:52:35 PM EDT
Second that last post, I got into a hurry on my first build and busted a bit next to my hand. Took me two weeks to dig out all the little pieces. Two lessons: dont hurry; use common sense
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:20:57 PM EDT
5/32" cobalt drill bit and a drill press. Drill 90% of the way through. Tap it out. Works every time for me. Just make sure you drill level and right through the center. Its a good idea to grind the rivet flat and then mark the center with a center punch so your drill bit does not drift when you start drilling.
Top Top