Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:14:24 PM EDT
Sorry if the question has already been answered......Has anybody used the screw set system instead of the rivets in their build?....If so, How have they turned out function wise?....Thanks.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:18:09 PM EDT
I have wondered the same also. At least then if you wanted you could tear it down and build something else.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 12:43:57 PM EDT by dalesimpson]
Wait a minute. I get it now. I think you are talking about a screw build. If that is what you are talking about then yes, there are hundreds of screw builds out there running strong with thousands and thousands of rounds through them.

ETA I thought you were talking about set screws. LOL
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:43:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

ETA I thought you were talking about set screws. LOL

I was thinking set screws too...all sorts of weird thoughts were running through my head
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
Hello,
Thanks for the info...... Is there a particular set you could recommend....Thanks again..
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:01:18 AM EDT
www.geocities.com/fkrfxr/screwkit/ScrewKit.html

I bought some kits from this guy. Seem to work good plus you can get the taps and drill bits from to make everything fit good.
I've done two with these so far with no problems, but can't tell you how good they will hold up as I just finished them about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:37:31 AM EDT
Thanks...................
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:15:49 PM EDT
Anyone else done it?

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:30:18 PM EDT
My first 2 builds were done with screws before the development of the boltcutter rivet squeezer, and later redone with rivets. I probably only had a few hundred rounds through them before conversion. My brother has a screw build that we did with just plain machine screws that has around a thousand or so rounds through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:52:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OregonARfan:
www.geocities.com/fkrfxr/screwkit/ScrewKit.html

I bought some kits from this guy. Seem to work good plus you can get the taps and drill bits from to make everything fit good.
I've done two with these so far with no problems, but can't tell you how good they will hold up as I just finished them about 2 weeks ago.

Post up some pics man! Let's see 'em!!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:56:33 PM EDT
I've put 400 - 500 rounds through a screw build. No problems. I used button head screws. I got them from midwest armory
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:18:25 AM EDT
No problems as long as you use high quality grade 8 screws and are careful. But screw builds sell at a discount, first because they look different than a "real" AK, and second because of some poor jobs by people who used screws only because they were incompetent to do a rivet build. And found they were incompetent to do ANY build!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:36:16 AM EDT
I have been using 10-32 stainless screwsfrom Home Depot. Socket hex head. It works great on the three I did with it.

The u-drive rivets fell out of one of my rifles. I would recommend regular rivets or screws.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:06:32 PM EDT
Great info.....Thanks to all that have posted so far......
Top Top