Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:37 PM EDT
Hello to all.  This is my first post, but I have been reading up for several weeks and gaining knowledge.  I am finally ready to start a project.  I have a couple of questions first though.  I have most of the required tools to make the recievers from flats and think finacially it will be the best decisions in the long run.  My first questions is which flats to buy?  I have looked around and saw that Tapco, Cope's Dis., and Midwest Armory has them; is one better than the other or is it just preference?  Also who generally has the best rifle kits, I have been looking at Cope's Dis. for the rifle.  Any suggestions would help me get this project rolling. Oh and sorry for the long post.... kinda got long winded.

-Jeremy

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on Midwest Armory, quick shipping too.
A good place to get all your parts from.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The flats you mentioned above are all manufactured by Tapco. They are very nice flats in my opinion and when bent correctly will make a great receiver. As far as I know there are really only three manufacturers of flats. Joeken offered some flats made of 1030 steel a while back that a lot of vendors carried but as far as I know they are no longer being offered. Nodakspud also offers some made from 4130 which are very similar to the Tapco ones. I have carried all three and will say that they are all very nice flats and will make some very nice receivers with a little tooling & a little work.
I have mine listed in the build section for $11.99 plus some damn cheap shipping
midwestarmory.com/page3.html

I ordered 12 flats (I think that many) and I was very happy with the Tapco products. They ALL bend great... just take your time and flatten out the bottom while held in a vice. That's how I got the nice flat bottom and straight angles.

thanks,
Ron

PLUS..... WELCOME ABOARD!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
duke, do you sell parts kits too?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The flats you mentioned above are all manufactured by Tapco. They are very nice flats in my opinion and when bent correctly will make a great receiver. As far as I know there are really only three manufacturers of flats. Joeken offered some flats made of 1030 steel a while back that a lot of vendors carried but as far as I know they are no longer being offered. Nodakspud also offers some made from 4130 which are very similar to the Tapco ones. I have carried all three and will say that they are all very nice flats and will make some very nice receivers with a little tooling & a little work.
I have mine listed in the build section for $11.99 plus some damn cheap shipping
midwestarmory.com/page3.html

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
duke, do you sell parts kits too?

Nope just parts
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, I did order from Midwest Armory... I don't know if you have heard of them

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Howcome thedukeryan started out as a dealer, then in his next post he's a member?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Howcome thedukeryan started out as a dealer, then in his next post he's a member?

Didnt pay the $750 dealer fee
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top