Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:03:01 PM EDT
On the front trunnion of my m70 the oneleg was bent in pretty badly, so i tried to fix it.  And, well... as so many stories go, it just snapped instead of bending.  How important is this?  I figure that little leg isn't much support anyways, but I just wanted to check with the more experienced.  THanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't tell you that I would build it as is because I would fix it by welding etc.  But I MIGHT build it as is if I didn't have any way to repair it.

[flamesuit on]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Are talking about the little leg at the very front? If so , your handguard will be loose as crap without it .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are talking about the little leg at the very front? If so , your handguard will be loose as crap without it .

I was thinking he was talking about the leg on the back, in the mag well.  I assumed that it broke at the rivet hole.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It is the front leg, I broke mine too by accident.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just weld it and grind it down to fit.

FREE
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a pic.  Its the front leg, not the back with the rivet hole.  The little part that broke off is tiny.  I have access to a nice mig welder, should I try to tack that piece back or just pile up some weld material and grind to shape?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I would build that as it sits.  I don't think you will have any problems with handguard looseness because of that, and structurally that won't cause any safety issues.  Not only that but it won't be seen when the rifle is assembled.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
On a Yugo the handguard fits between those legs. Without it you'll (may) get some wiggle.Just as others have said , form one out of weld and Dremel or file it into shape.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On a Yugo the handguard fits between those legs. Without it you'll (may) get some wiggle.Just as others have said , form one out of weld and Dremel or file it into shape.

There is still some leg on the broken side so it looks like he won't have any wiggle.  But if he does have access to a welder, or even JB Weld, it would be a good idea to make the repair.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I would build it up, and while your at it you can have the tightest handgaurd fit posible. Mine rattles a little, not much, but had I known beforehand I could have fixed it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]
i'd leave it as is or jb weld it, i personally wouldn't weld it on without having it normalized and retreated because it will mess up the heat treating of it and it does help contain what 40,000 + p.s.i.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
just build it

i have personally built a rifle with this prob on both sides (not done by me)
im guessing the little legs are there so they can use the same hgs on both milled and stamped rifles

yours looks to have broke in the same place as mine
while it isnt right there is enough there to hold the hg tight and with no slop

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I broke mine, too. Built the kit. No HG wiggle at all.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#14]
On me handguard seams to sit fairly tight around the barrel, and ther is still a little bit of a lip on mine, so I don't think the handgaurd will be loose.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top