Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 8:45:25 AM EDT
I recently bought (2) Yugo 80% rec. with templates from AKparts.com. everything looks great ,except when I lay a tapco flat on the template,lining up the front and mag well...Nothing else lines up. some of the holes are way off. I just thought that I would check it with a flat before I actually cut it, I'm glad I did. anyone else ever had this problem? should I just take my measurments off the flat ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Templates are made/used for pre-bent blank receivers and will not line up with a flat.  The template takes into account that the metal is already bent.  Which of course the "flat" isn't.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeh I get that but these holes are really off. even the holes for the trigger guard and pistol grip nut are off at least a 1/4" and since they are on the bottom of the receiver too they should all match. I'll try and post some pics.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
gunwolf,
  In my experience the relationship between the trunnion holes and the mag well on Tapco flats is less than ideal, but I never had any trouble using a template in a bent blank when I used to build them that way.  If you have any questions as far as measurements go I am sure that any of us could measure a completed AK to get accurate measurements for you if you don't have a complete rifle handy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The template is a combination of an AK-47 blueprint I got several years ago (not the strangelove print) and reverse enginering of my Norico MAK-90.  The Norico, in my opinion, is the best AK that I have shot and I have yet to come across a magazine that would not work with it.  I originally posted the template on the Roderus server a few years ago, before they switched servers and dumped all the info on their site.  AKparts along with several other people downloaded my template to sell or offer with another item.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the strangelove print good?  That's what I was planning on basing mine on; are there any copies of original factory prints around?  Or are all the ones we have reverse engineered?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay I went against my better judgement and used the template.  so now I have a $45(for the 80% rec) and two day f#*% up. the mag well is so far off that to get a mag into it I'll have to lengthen it a 1/4"! the FCG won't work, the holes are too far apart and the hammer won't even lock with the trigger! and the safety lever is so high it won't hit anything! I feel like such an ass for spending so much $ and time on something I could have bought already done for under $100! My advice to anyone attempting an 80% rec.. don't do it, but if you have to, then use the reverse engineering method throw the template away! I originally posted becuase I noticed the template was shorter in length than a tapco flat. I have assembled a yugo M70 from a modified tapco flat and it works! so to all of you that like your templates I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you sure you printed that template out at 100% ? I've never used a template.. I always use a flat for reference on my blanks and never had a problem. Also you can use the front receiver scrap to locate mag well placement
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The templates came with the recievers. yeh I'll never make this mistake again. I was going to take all the measurements off  a flat but let myself get talked out of it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The templates came with the recievers. yeh I'll never make this mistake again. I was going to take all the measurements off  a flat but let myself get talked out of it.

I would get in contact with whomever sold you the blank and included the f'ed up template and explain the problems you had
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Okay I went against my better judgement and used the template.  so now I have a $45(for the 80% rec) and two day f#*% up. the mag well is so far off that to get a mag into it I'll have to lengthen it a 1/4"! the FCG won't work, the holes are too far apart and the hammer won't even lock with the trigger! and the safety lever is so high it won't hit anything! I feel like such an ass for spending so much $ and time on something I could have bought already done for under $100! My advice to anyone attempting an 80% rec.. don't do it, but if you have to, then use the reverse engineering method throw the template away! I originally posted becuase I noticed the template was shorter in length than a tapco flat. I have assembled a yugo M70 from a modified tapco flat and it works! so to all of you that like your templates I wish you luck.hr

I believe that  Rev. is correct - the print wasn't duplicated at 100%. I have a template I could send you to try. It matches up to my factory Romy rifle, and a Tapco flat. I replied to your post on the other site you posted this on - I go by Pit Bull over there.

joedoran
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the instructions for folding a flat by dremel scribing the fold lines with a template.
http://www.akparts.com/akinfo6.html   A template will not line up with the FCG holes on a flat. You'll need to line the template centered on the magwell, then scribe as per the instructions on the site. Our templates are A-1 but they are designed to be placed on a bend blank. If you have any problems just email me from the site I'll be glad to help. Best, Chris at AKParts
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Chris, I tried e-mailing you from your site, but it was returned. I'll send you a IM from this board.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top