Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:41:46 PM EDT
Took about an hour to chemically strip that thick shellac off the Romy's wood. I cleaned up the residue with acetone on a cloth. That took off the last trace of the black painted band on the stock too. Once dry, I sanded it lightly and started applying tung oil in thin wiped on coats. Buffed between coats with fine steel wool.
Dang, this thing is looking good already! Just two coats so far. I think a few more will do it. There was some very nice wood under that snotty coating!
My thanks for all the good tips I've picked up here!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:30:43 PM EDT

Sounds good, how about a picture.

This is something I need to learn, I've build a bunch of AK's but I s*?k at the woodwork.



Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:00 PM EDT
Nice, I just got my romey kit torn apart, a little sea foam deap creap penitrateing oil made quick work of the barrel pin and barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 7:30:48 PM EDT by Sidecarnutz]
I'm building up a coat a day between buffings on it. Should be done in 2-3 days. Gotta let it cure between coats. Just takes a minute to apply, but forever to dry!
I started an account with photo bucket the other day. So I'll post some pics once they're done.

I'm going nuts wanting to work on it. But I need to finish a customer's sidecar rig before I have room to chop the steel for my reciever tooling. Shop is really cramped right now! I figured I'd do the woodwork since it was small and simple. But that guy's Beemer rig will be outta here early next week. I can't wait!

(Edited for spelling.)
Top Top