Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 4:15:21 PM EDT
I'm kind of torn between using Gun Kote and Dura Coat. Dura coat looks much easier to apply. And I like the Dura coat finish on my AKM that I have now. My only experiance with Gun kote was on old iron cylinder barrels on my 1995 Ural. Those are known to get rusty/crusty easily and that finish held up well for the four years I had it. So I suppose what I'm looking for here is the opinions of those who've used them on AKM's. In the long term for durability, which will be better? I have an airbrush and a nice HVLP gun I use in my cycle work. No problem applying either. But which holds up better? And since I'll be finishing the whole rifle, would it be better to use the hi-temp Duracoat? Or is the regular proof enough against the temperatures the gun will see in semi auto target shooting?

I ordered in some flats, rivets and other stuff from Copes today. So I'm sure I'll start my first build soon. So I need some opinions on bending flats. I've looked all over locally for a piece of steel to make the male die from. No luck. The two steel yards in my area have none. So I would have to build up/weld up the male die from 1/4" plate.
But I'm thinking of another way and want to see if I'm full of "it" or if it's a viable idea. I have a small 18" bending brake that works on small pieces of steel like these flats very well. If I mill some cuts into the hold down plate to allow for the dimples and such is there any reason why I couldn't make the two bottom bends with my brake? I plan to lightly scribe where the bend needs to be and clamp it in well before trying. Can this work well?

Thanks!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top