Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:45:39 PM EDT
cut it in half. right down the center.

cut out the rails, front and back, so you only need to bend a few inches worth (in the middle) not the whole 12" !!! now, it's easy to clamp it in a vise (between to peices of bar stock. and bend it over.

now, take each half, and grind, belt sand the rails so they are the correct width, and clamp them in the trunions, using rivets to hold everything perfect.

put your bottom rails in there, weld them in place. it's easiest to take it all apart to do this.

take some 1 1/4" X 1/8" bar stock, and slip it in there, weld the side plates to the bottom plate, and there you go. easy as pie, and very few tools required.

grind down your weld slag, and put a flat on the bottom, spray paint it, and you will ahve a pattern to follow when you cut out the trigger / magwell / pistol rip nut  holes. you can choose to thread the bottom plate instead.

I welded the pistol grip nut and trigger guard to the bottom plate. I haven't cut out the mag well yet, still thinking about leaving it a single shot.

I drilled a hole in the gas block crosswise and tapped it for 6mm put a screw in there. now nothing cycles when it goes boom.

I may leave it here... but knowing me, I'll be cutting the hole for the mag well, and either welding a 5 round chinese mag in there  or scratch building a mag latch. (I was missing one)

I'll probably just weld in a chinese 5 rounder, and modify the follower to let it hold 7

the final step is to take off the gas block and handguard retainer, AGAIN and build a little pump action hand guard, and attach it to the bolt handle.

it'll be a 7 round fixed magazine,  pump action AK pistol

I used a AMD 65 for this,

right now it's just a single shot AK pistol, with no hole for a magazine.

the good part about all this, is it lets you trim the rails easily, and bend the top rails with vice and hammer.

And you only have two bends to make,

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF?
Put the crack pipe down!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
For some reason I feel less intellegent now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I just threw up a little in my mouth
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats how I built my pump action muzzle loading Krink...worked like a charm
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]

"put down the crack pipe"

spooky, that's exactly what my boss said, when he found out what I was building.

some states have restrictions, on what you can have, you've never seen the pump action AK rifle for sale?

I'm just playing around in my shop. And I found an easy way to make an ak receiver with very limited tools.

I have a screw cut out, so it can go in the hole, one position is gas on,, one position is gas off. just like a yugo ak. so the option is there.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"put down the crack pipe"

spooky, that's exactly what my boss said, when he found out what I was building.

some states have restrictions, on what you can have, you've never seen the pump action AK rifle for sale?

I'm just playing around in my shop. And I found an easy way to make an ak receiver with very limited tools.

I have a screw cut out, so it can go in the hole, one position is gas on,, one position is gas off. just like a yugo ak. so the option is there.

Yes, I've seen pump AKs, but IIRC you can have a reguler AK in OK, right?  Why in Gods name would you want to "practice liveing in Commyfornia"? You just wasted a highly soght after AMD65 kit.

To anyone in a state where this aboration of a weapon is the closest thing to an AK they can have, I say MOVE! Move to a free state, join every organization to protect our rights and send e-mails to your senators. FIGHT for our rights!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
how exactly did I "waste" it? the only permanent modification, is the hole drilled in the gas block.

And it is a homebuilt gun, so obviously it is for my own enjoyment. What is the problem?

I got enough normal amd's

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
how exactly did I "waste" it? the only permanent modification, is the hole drilled in the gas block.

And it is a homebuilt gun, so obviously it is for my own enjoyment. What is the problem?

I got enough normal amd's

It just seems to me that if you're going to be starting a project like this (one wich requires much R&D, much modification and the outcome of wich is uncertain) that you would start with a kit of little or no value (AMDs are quite sought after now and you could have sold it for good money).
More power to ya though.

Why do you want a "ban compliant" AK, when you live in a free state? You should be helping me spread the evil and build as many "no ban" weapons as possable.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
well doggie*s that different.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
well I put those head spacing gauges I got from quarterbore to good use today, she head spaced ok,  but it's nice to be sure. I got her headspaced perfect, but since I was missing a barrel pin (had to drill one out ages ago), I went to Atwoods and got a 9/32 drill bit, the closest match. it just about fits in there anyways, but I drilled out the pin hole about 7/8 of the way through, left a little meat. pin fits great.

I still haven't cut out the mag well,

Test fired it tonight, the bolt carrier came back jus ta little sometimes ( 1/4") indicating a little gas is seeping maybe.

but other than that, everything worked great.

time to take the gas block back off, and rig up a pump, the wife has a temporary ban put on my shop time.. but soon, very soon...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
P.S. I did feel a little bad, afterwards, for drilling the gas block, but I can always get another gas block, or take one from a romy, if I want to chop it up and sell it as a kit, or build it into a differnt gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh yeah, tag for pics alright.....

There is a brotherhood among AK builders, but this might require some tough love....

Kidding...mostly...

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
hah hah hah

There is actually a good reason for all this.

subsonic loads won't cycle in an AK, so a pump would actually be more usefull with subsonic loads.

As for the chop and weld, not needing to bend the lower angles lets everything line up easier (the barrle is more likely to end up strait, and not cockeyed.

I got the mag well cut out and a 5 round chinese mag modified to hold 8. put a small tack weld in there to hold it in, pending building a mag catch.

cycles great.

I took the gas block back off, and as soon as I can find something that fits the barrel good, I'll make a pump (everything was closed today). I'm thinking I may modify a ratchet socket.

I'll get some pictures posted after I build the pump.

the cool part about using 1/8" plate on the bottom, is I didn't need to use the selector stop, the TG spaced perfect.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#15]
My brotha, you are way too far south of the Mason Dixon line to be even considering such a blastphemous build.

I have been there though, that far off the deep end...and I understand one can get goofy after breathing too many welding rod fumes, or cosmolene, or whatever...hell one time I made a magwell for an HK33 to take AR mags...I'm feeling much better now.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
after you build so many semi auto AK's one sometimes starts to crave something different...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
after you build so many semi auto AK's one sometimes starts to crave something different...

curiosity killed the cat you know

but if you just HAVE to try it, leave me all the AMDs in your will
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well sure, man, everyone needs a little "strange" every now and then, but you should endulge with a bigger one, or a shorter one...or a different nationality one...

Not one that has to ride the short bus...

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
short bus huh?.... your point is well said...

www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16359&cat=292&page=1

I'll be getting one of these, shortly...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude..............you picked the wrong time to start sniffin' glue.
Put down the grinder and step away from the rifle.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top