Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2005 12:05:54 PM EDT
Thanks guys---I got the stock off and all the furnitur removed, I guess next is to drill the rivets and remone the trunion----do I need a specific size bit---I guess regular would be better than cobalt-----as far as not drilling into the trunnion. I appreciate the help-----you guys are great
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:34:54 PM EDT
I used a 5/32 drill bit, but you can use something smaller in diameter. Basically, center punch each rivet and drill all the way through. Then use a punch to knock out the rivets. On the rivets for the trigger guard, I basically grounded flush with the selector stop plate and then punched them out with a nail punch.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
You do have your barrel removed, I hope? Otherwise you could run into trouble. Like drilling into the barrel. And how would you punch out the rivets with the barrel in place? I generally center punch the rivets and then use a small bit like a 3/32. Well, actually I start with a center drill. That's a short stubby drill bit that looks kinda like a countersink bit. It is actually two drill bits, one on each end. the advantage to using a center drill is there is less possibility of the bit walking on you. After I use the center drill to get a hole started I then go to a 3/32. I only drill through part way. Then I use a countersink to remove any of the expanded rivet shaft at the hole opening. Then I use a punch to drive the rivet out. If it doesn't come out then, at that point I drill through the rivet and then punch it out. Generally works. At least the remains of rivets littering the floor after a deconstruction indicate that it does. Oh, and I use cobalt bits. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:16:22 PM EDT
i just used a bench grinder an ground the rivets off. Once the heads were gone, a punch to knock them out. The rear trunion had to be drilled then punched.

Caspian
Top Top