Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2005 11:24:34 AM EDT
I'm interested in building a Yugo underfolder.   This would be my frist build and I've got little to know experience with AK's.  But I figure you need to learn sometime eh?

DCI has a Yugo reciever, www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm that look to be predrilled and ready to go.   They are listed as being 1.5m thick... Is this going to require shaving down the stock trunions?

Assuming I pickup one of the rivet tools I've seen for sale, is this really a bolt it together and headspace project?   Is it foolhardy to even try without having someone walk you through it?

Is it possible to build a Polish underfolder on this receiver?  

Much obliged,

- AzDak
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
youve got to rivet it, finish coat it, install the FCG, and then backwards field strip it. you probably wont even have to headspace it, since it was headspaced before it was demilled and it should have the same spacing when you reinstall the barrel (unless you go drilling new pin slots in it).

its not all that difficult, but everyone around here recommends building a Romy first. but i wouldnt imagine that a Yugo underfolder would be all that difficult compared to a Romy, so idont see why you wouldnt be able to do it.

and a polish one, dont build it on that reciever. that one's got the front trunnion swells in it for the Yugo, and the Polskis use a regular AKM reciever. unless you mean just the folding stock on that rifle, in which case im inclined to think it would fit all right.

hope this helps, and i hope you get in on a build one way or another
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The DCI M70 receiver is made to work with the Yugo M70 trunion and rear block, without narrowing of the internal parts.
The material thickness is to duplicate the thickness of the original Yugo receiver.
Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I used a DCI receiver, and I would HIGHLY recommend it. I don't think these could fit any better if they were custom made to your kit. I've heard all the horror stories about things not being right and I was very relieved when I got this reciever, VERY minor fitting required. Easy build. Yes you can do it yourself. Take your time, read all you can, then go for it. (I used a few punches, some steel rod to make the rivet head punch, and a press. I know others that said they did not use a press, but my barrel was VERY hard to get out and back in.) (Oh yeah, Dremel, and small carbide cutter, vice, and a few chunks of metal to back the rivets)Good luck, and HAVE FUN! (My bore looked like crap, but it shoots nice)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
my 1st was Yugo uf ...using a nodakspud reciever...works like a charm.....lil fit lil file....its came together very nicely....one of the finest looking AKs....next is a romy....they sure are interesting/fun to build.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have bought 5 DCI receivers & they are all alike, very good for the build & the money. If you are going to build any Yugo ; buy a DCI receiver and do it right the first time. These are great receivers. Now I am waiting on the AKM version that is supposed to be here in January 2006....

Quoted:
I used a DCI receiver, and I would HIGHLY recommend it. I don't think these could fit any better if they were custom made to your kit. I've heard all the horror stories about things not being right and I was very relieved when I got this reciever, VERY minor fitting required. Easy build. Yes you can do it yourself. Take your time, read all you can, then go for it. (I used a few punches, some steel rod to make the rivet head punch, and a press. I know others that said they did not use a press, but my barrel was VERY hard to get out and back in.) (Oh yeah, Dremel, and small carbide cutter, vice, and a few chunks of metal to back the rivets)Good luck, and HAVE FUN! (My bore looked like crap, but it shoots nice)

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Very much obliged all.  I'm actually giddy as a kid at Christmas about doing this build.  Seems to me this could be a whole new level of addiction....  *grin*

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top