Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/1/2003 7:24:04 AM EDT

Due to events in Kansas, I am in possession of a Krinks receiver and the remains of a once primo Polish AKMS kit that I had written off a couple of years ago. The receiver has the holes for the folder partially cut into it. The "kit" consists of the handguards, pistol grip, bolt and carrier and the top cover, plus a few springs.

I notice that Global is advertising the kits again. Back when I bought it, the Krink was the only game in town but since then, there have been a number of negative comments about them. The question is, would it be worth building on, or would it be a waste of another kit?

Thanks

Drue
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have wondered about that myself for my PMKMS kit.

I think I'm gonna build off the Sgt Freedoms blank since no one has a stamped receiver with the holes for the underfolder.

I pick up my SAR from Global today. It amazes me how the gooch sat on this for over 1 1/2 years and nothing was done and Global did all the work plus some in under a week.

good luck
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The real question is, are the partialy cut holes in the correct places?  If they are, a new kit will be necessary because you got nothing worth useing back from that criminal ass----.  What is a Krinks receiver? You mean Hesse?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. If I do it, I know that I'll have to buy another kit. I am just trying to figure out whether or not it is worth doing.

When klinton banned the importation of the kits, I bought a couple from Global; an AK-47 and an AKMS. I knew that I was going to send the 47 to the FiringLine to be built on one of their milled, threaded receivers. I had the Krinks receiver and figured to try building the AKMS myself. When the kits arrived, they were great! Unfired! New! It looks like the Poles took the rifles from the assembly line, packed them is cosmoline and put them in some salt mine, waiting for WWW III. The war did not come, but some Yankee gun dealer did and I ended up with them. The 47 did go to the Firing Line and a GREAT Ak-47 came back. The AKMS kit was too good for me to hack up so I sent it to Kansas and paid for someone else to hack it up!

Anyway, the receiver is back, with partially cut stock holes that do, in fact, line up with the holes in the rear trunnion and the trigger guard riveted on with the appearance that it was done by Fred Flintstone.

On one hand, I would like to complete the project. On the other, I don't want to waste yet another AKMS kit on a project that, even it is sucessful, will result in a gun with a weak receiver. I dunno.

mg34ss,

The Krinks were made by somebody in Naples Florida and sold by Soup Bowl. They were regular AKM receivers with the euro rivet pattern. They are marked 'Krinks M97." Later on, complete rifles were assembled and sold by, I believe, InterOrd. They were a hot item for a while. then people started complaining about dimension problens and heat treatment, sort of like Ohio Ordinance Works now.

Drue
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for bringing me up to speed, Drue. From what you've said, it seems that you have a receiver that still can be used.  Did your kit come back from KAG's office?  Can you send them a list of the missing parts?  It seems to me some people who had partial kits come back, were writing to try to collect the remainder of the parts.  If you could just get your barrel, you might be in a position to build what you have.  As for the receiver, I have no experience with the Krinks.  I cannot say if it's worth your time.  I like my Polish un-underfolder.  The nice thing is the stock won't get loose and sloppy like my pre-ban Chinese underfolder that is sucky to shoot because of the slop.  At this point it seems like you've nothing to loose by building it.  If it turns out to be a lousy receiver, you can always sell the kit and make a profit later.  They will go up quite a bit when they are no longer available.  I screwed mine together and it's great.  Your question is, after all, speculative.  Only you know if it's worth doing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Weii, I did it. I ordered a new Polish AKM kit from Global this afternoon,  along with a US trigger group and US slant brake. The US gas piston came back from Kansas.

I agree that the underfolder is not the best bet for an AK. They do get loose. I guess the Russians were impressed by the MP40. I would not ordinarily set out to do a fixed folder but when I got the first kit, way back in Sept. 2000,  it looked so good that I wanted to restore it , as close as practical (and legal) to the way it was before it was disassembled. Oh well, I'll get another crack at it.

One other thing that did come back with the remains is the entire folding assembly for the stock. Assuming that I get that far, I can assemble it and weld it to be legal. If the ban sunsets, perhaps I can grind it out and install the functional folder  mechanism. We'll see.

Drue
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:02:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Campy,

The receiver is pretty old. I got it in Sept 2000 and the serial number is in the mid 200s. I wonder if they will "age harden" if stored in a chicken coop for 32 months? There is a place here where I think that I can get it tested. How hard should it be? Should it be harder around the pin holes or be more or less uniform?

Even if it turns out to be on the soft side, I might do it anyway. If I screw up the build, I can always disassemble it and get another receiver. The Krink might be a good one to practice on. If I manage to get it together and I can shoot it without blowing my self up it may still work out ok. I would want to sight it in but I don't plan on shooting it much, the Mak 90 is the main shooter. What I want is a "representative example" of a Warsaw Pact AKM and this is probably as close as I will ever be able to get to that.

Thanks

Drue
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Campy,

Thanks for the info. I am going to have it tested and then figure out what to do.

Drue
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top