Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/6/2003 2:31:09 PM EDT
I'm considering taking a couple of cheap 5.45 bakelites and trying to block them to 5 rounds for "hunting mags". (state regs.)

I'd like to do this without cutting the mags in case I feel the need to restore them to full capacity at some point.

I only have one 5.45 5 rounder that came with my CUR2, it would be nice to have a spare. I could even use these for popping groundhogs with my .223 NHM90...

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:02:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2003 3:05:04 AM EDT by mg34ss]
You're worried about $5.00 ? I mean, come on... Buy two mags and block them. For $10.00, who cares? Cut a piece of wood that follows the curve of the mag and fits inside the spring. bevel the follower end slightly. Make it too long, and shorten till only 5 rounds fit. Done.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:19:08 AM EDT
Get a wooden dowell about an 1/2 inch diameter and play with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:20:25 PM EDT
It's not so much worrying about cutting up a $5-7 mag, it's more for appearance and legalities.

Walking through the fields in search of gophers with a big bakelite mag appeals to me!

I know some of the Yugo AK's came in with 30's blocked to 5 rounds to be compliant yet retain their original "look". Just wanted to try it...

If I find something that works I'll post it, the factory 5 rounder is a short little thing--only sticks out 1 1/4 " on the rear and 1" on the front. I can probably use it for a rough measurement of the 5 round mark...
Top Top