Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2002 11:22:26 AM EDT
OK, I have that SA93 kit mentioned in the previous posts and I want to put it together.  Never done an AK before, so I'll be frequenting this site.

someone told me that you can use a stamped receiver for this.  Didn't sound right to me since the Bulgarian parts came from a milled receiver.  

What is the most economical way to assemble the kit?  Where to get the receiver?  Who has done a milled kit before?  Anything I need to be aware of before I start?  I have access to presses, milling machines, drill presses, lathes, welders, just about anything I should need, except all the knowledge, which is where you guys come in!

Thanks,
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Hawg,
  I'm not sure of the laws specific to Mass.  I don't live there, so you'll have to be responcible for compliance.  Perhaps someone else can help you out with that.  Now for the construction issues you will face.
  If this kit is the kit I'm thinking of, it may have come without a front trunnion.  You'll have to check for that.  The trunnion is built into the milled receiver and probably did not come with your kit, which is one of the reasons it's less expensive than other kits.  Also it came without the rear stock mount.  I don't even know where you can find one.  I think perhaps Global might still have some.  Otherwise, you'll have to make one.  That isn't too hard if you have access to a milling machine and a sample to take measurements from.  The way out of all this is to buy a milled receiver.  They are expensive.  Let me know where you are with all this, and we can proceed. The nice thing is you are not too far away, so if there is a reall problem, you could drive up some time, provided you live in eastern Mass.  I'll be busy for about three days, but I'll check in..... MG
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I read a post a while back from someone That built up a milled kit with a stamped reciever. This barrel and milled reciever stub were together, so he took a different trunnion and used it as a guide. Supposedly he trimed down the stub to fit into a stamped rec. thereby allowing him to interchange the screw in barrels, and you need to get a rear trunnion, oh he used the screw together method, tap where ever.

otherwise, campy is right sent it out, to turn down the threads and press the barrel into a new trunnion(available from globle trades)

jacksprat
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I got this kit as part of another deal, so I don't know how much it went for originally.  The barrel trunion and stock mount are missing.

I live in W. Mass, so it would be a hike to see MG34ss with a problem, but not out of the question.  I like to check out the Kittery Trading Post every once in a while.

Compared to buying a complete SA93 or SLR95, what do you think this project is going to run?  If I had the barrel trunion, I would build it on a stamped receiver and have another AK for little cash.  But, if it's going to cost me as much or more than a complete rifle, it's not worth it to me.

I'll have to shop around for a milled receiver at a reasonable price.  If anyone has any leads, please let me know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi Hawg,   If you go to the KTP sometime, It is not too far to my place.  About 18 minutes and no turns to get lost on.  All these guys are right, there are lots of ways to build your gun.  It's a good project regardless of the cost, but I agree with you that it could get pricey.  Global trades sells a trunion for about $60.00.  You will be able to build the rear trunion without too much trouble.  A cheap Hesse receiver will be another $60.00.  This kit sells for about $160.  You haven't bought the screws yet and you have some time required to make the rear trunion or buy for $20 or so. You are over the "buy it built" limit already. That's why I never bought this kit.  I do this for fun, never looked at the price too much.  If you still want to go with this, there are lots of ways to go...  As you can see, there are lots of good folks to give you advise.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I think, for now anyway, I'll just keep the parts kit for spares for the 2 Bulgarians I already have.  Not that I will ever need them, but it can't hurt to have them on hand.

I didn't think it would cost this much to put one of these together.

Anyway, I thank you all for your time and info.  Who know's, someday I might change my mind and assemble this thing.

Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top