Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/13/2002 4:58:41 AM EDT
Is assembly with screws really a safe method for attaching the trunnions to the AK receiver. Seems to me that the screws would over time, start to work on the edges of the receiver holes elongating them. Can a person really obtain enough pressure with screws to keep this from occurring?

I believe you have used this assembly method in the past. Have you seen the trunnions loosening with time? I would really like to get a 74 kit from KVAR and have Arsenal do the assembly work on their receiver, but now your talking about $250 to $300.

If it's as simple as drilling out the original rivets, removing the remains of the original receiver. Tapping the rivet holes, matching the forward and rear trunnions to the new receiver using the remains of the old receiver as a template for positioning the holes. And then screwing the trunnions to the new receiver, I may go this route.

This would not effect my headspacing correct? I'm an aircraft mechanic and have the experience and tooling to do the work, my main concern is safety of the shooter with the trunnions working loose over time. If anyone else has experience with this type of assembly or has photos of rifles they completed, please share them.

If I can save myself a couple hundred bucks, do the work myself, and have a safe rifle in the end, this would be a great project!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir for the FAST response! Looks like I have myself a new project!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top