Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 3:04:35 PM EDT
I have a Romanian WASR-10 that I bought back in 2008 with a ground off bayonet lug, would this be the correct gas block to replace mine with?

Gas Block

It says for a 15mm barrel and mine measured at 14.6mm after the gas block and 15.18mm before the gas block. I've never messed with any AK's before and I know some countries parts don't play well with others.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It should work. But as with all things AK, fitting may be required.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, the gas block that is on there is canted so its not going to be a quick swap out anyway. I just wasn't sure how much rounding of measurements there are in the AK world.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered, and installed it this weekend. The fit is perfect had to press it on just about as hard as the original was to get off. Couple annoying things are the finish on this one is a deep shiny black, and my WASR is dull grey/black color so it doesn't look original. I'll see what it looks like after a few heat cycles then maybe try some navel jelly to lighten it up. Also on the site for the gas block it says to use a 3mm drill bit to drill the gas block pin holes. On mine which were straight pins ( I thought these were supposed to be tapered pins?) this resulted in them going in MUCH easier than the old ones took to get out. Not press in by hand loose, but not much resistance compared to other things I have pined in place. I wish i would have started with a 2.5mm drill bit and tried to drive them in that hole.

Anyway who doesn't like pictures!

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordered, and installed it this weekend. The fit is perfect had to press it on just about as hard as the original was to get off. Couple annoying things are the finish on this one is a deep shiny black, and my WASR is dull grey/black color so it doesn't look original. I'll see what it looks like after a few heat cycles then maybe try some navel jelly to lighten it up. Also on the site for the gas block it says to use a 3mm drill bit to drill the gas block pin holes. On mine which were straight pins ( I thought these were supposed to be tapered pins?) this resulted in them going in MUCH easier than the old ones took to get out. Not press in by hand loose, but not much resistance compared to other things I have pined in place. I wish i would have started with a 2.5mm drill bit and tried to drive them in that hole.

Anyway who doesn't like pictures!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4402/36964468956_4f903c2c2b_k.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4394/36317634434_497985c4f4_k.jpg
View Quote
WASR's are parkerized and those are probably blued or painted. If painted, it might have parkerizing underneath the paint, but no guarantees. 3mm is the correct size drill bit to use on these barrel components. The only country that uses 2.5mm pins are Yugoslavia/Serbia. As long as the pins required hammering and can't be pushed out by hand, then it's okay. I personally use ground pins that install very easily, and I've never had one come out. No country to my knowledge used/uses taper pins on Kalashnikov pattern rifles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
That's good to hear, this is the first modifications I have done to any AK pattern rifle. I figured after a few rounds the carbon build up would help fill in and hold everything even more.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top