Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2017 11:33:39 AM EDT
I'm building my first AK's. Both a Bulgarian 74 and a Polish 47. I've about got the build done where I need to start getting ready to add my finish. I want to parkerize them and of couse make good looking finishes. I've black oxidized parts at work before using that Precision Brand Step 2 chemical. My problem is I had planned on buy a HF blasting cabinet but looking at the required CFM's for it in comparison to what my compressor puts out I feel I wouldn't have a very good time blasting these parts at my house. I can do it at work before the work day starts but that would leave hours if not days between the actual blasting and parking of the the parts and I'm worried about them starting to corrode.

My question is could I wrap them in plastic wrap right after blasting them and would that protect them enough and keep them from rusting for a few days before I could get around to parkerizing them? I would rather go straight from blasting to parking but I was considering blasting them, oiling them, wrapping them in plastic wrap, degreasing them, and then parking them. What do y'all think?

Also can you use a food warmer to park with? I've never heard of anyone do it but I don't see why one of these wouldn't work.
www.webstaurantstore.com/nemco-6055a-43-4-3-size-countertop-food-warmer-with-31-long-exterior-120v-1500w/5916055A43.html

Thank,

Jesse
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
we always just set our stainless park tank on top of one of those turkey fryer burners, worked great.

If you can't park right after blasting, using a vacuum sealer would probably be better than just plastic wrap.  You can always hit the piece with a green scrubby pad right before parking. You'll hit it with a good degreaser like brake cleaner before it goes into the tank too,.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I didn't respond to your help sooner I hadn't received a notification of your reply. I really don't like having to store the parts after blasting but I can't think of a better opinion without throwing down a lot more money or paying someone else to park them which I don't want to do as I did everything else on these builds.

I plan to get somekind of tank to park in and may a plastic one to put some cheap motor oil in as when I use to black oxidize parts at my old job we quit using WD40 as it wouldn't always stop rust from forming. Do you feel that letting the parts sock in a tub of acetone after being blasted and right before the park dip would be a good idea? I would think you would want to blow the parts completely dry before dipping them or the acetone might mess up your park solution? Acetone is a lot more money than brake cleaner though.

Thanks,

Jesse
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top