Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 9:39:20 PM EDT
I have to thread my own AK barrel because no one local can do it.

I bought the CNC warrior kit it arrives tomorrow. I've watched a few videos and the process seems rather simple.

As an added layer of protection I'm asking what the most common mistakes are that people make?

So far all I've really seen is one guy forgetting to take out his guide after he got deep enough.

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a lathe so I might be the wrong person to chime in.

But I have tapped stuff where the threads were really crooked. That was decades ago.

In hindsight if I had set the die handle straight and attached to something I would be able to start the threads straight.

I'm sure you can figure out some type of contraption to hold either the barrel or die handle straight to start a proper thread.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Lathe threading mistakes I've made plenty. The only mistake I've made using a die and TAT is threading too far. It didn't effect anything and the FSB covered the extra thread, but it doesn't look professional. Other mistakes I can see happen is not using a TAT, not ensuring that your barrel OD is the correct size for threading, if you have a split die trying to start the thread with it in the tightest position, not using any/enough cutting fluid, not backing off the die every quarter turn or so, not clearing out the chips if it gets too impacted, not using a die wrench and instead using something like vise grips, or not starting the die on the correct side. Probably the biggest one if trying to cut a left hand thread is turning the die the wrong way. I'm sure there's more, but those are things I can think of off the top of my head.

ETA: Just looked up the kit. Seems it comes with everything you need to not mess anything up. Make sure you really use that Tap Magic (love that stuff) and make sure you use the TAT (thread alignment tool) at least until you have a quarter inch of thread cut (or as close as you can get to that).
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top