Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It almost physically pains me to let my guns get that filthy, but I'm gonna try

All I've ever used is this safariland clp, probably because this is what I got at Cabelas when I got my first AR a few years back. Is that G96 stuff much different?

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/840/840573.jpg
View Quote
It smells 87 times better.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been cleaning with G96 Gun Treatment for years! Great stuff and obviously smells nice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It almost physically pains me to let my guns get that filthy, but I'm gonna try

All I've ever used is this safariland clp, probably because this is what I got at Cabelas when I got my first AR a few years back. Is that G96 stuff much different?

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/840/840573.jpg
And I hear the pleasing aroma is half the point! I'll buy a bottle of this stuff when my current stock runs dry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
??  Oh.  You were serious.

So....in your mind, a piston with more surface area experiencing friction needs less lubrication than a bearing?

Assuming you're picturing an internal combustion engine, in which a piston is constantly bathed in motor oil....and you're translating that to the BCG of an AR-15 which has no oil reservoir, much less a system to constantly bathe the BCG...

Wait, how does this all work inside your head again?
View Quote
Also, a piston in an ICE is cycling from 600 times a minute up to at least 5,000 and can do it for hours at a time. An M-16 cyclic rate is about 750 and won't sustain that for more than a few seconds before you need to change magazines.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If mine start to cycle slow I lube it and keep going.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’ve been cleaning with G96 Gun Treatment for years! Great stuff and obviously smells nice.
View Quote
Quoted:
And I hear the pleasing aroma is half the point! I'll buy a bottle of this stuff when my current stock runs dry.
View Quote
Just so you know....the G96 synthetic lost the smell.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I can just imagine how much red shit is caked in the firing pin channel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I know, right?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Polymer goo from poly covered cases in the BE.

Don't recall what was in the FP channel, as I tossed the bolt after the second lug broke.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/50398/2013-06-04_11-12-23_295_jpg-1312725.JPG

Polymer goo from poly covered cases in the BE.

Don't recall what was in the FP channel, as I tossed the bolt after the second lug broke.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's more info on the gun belonging to @MisterPX:

TFB LINK

And HERE is one dirty ass KAC with a hygiene problem as well.

Like I said....they will run dirty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
That really is not very dirty at all, especially with Wolf ammo from 10 years ago, newer Wolf is pretty clean running for me.
Yeah that bolt was close to kaboom given that the 2nd lug broke 2 mags later
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the video. I'll start a schedule and do it say every thousand rounds for cleaning. And just wipe it down and lube it up.  Anyone have a preference for grease?  I'm gonna pick up some of that Lucas stuff and try it out.  How's the frog lube stuff?  I have some and I've only opened it never ran it. But smells like wintergreen.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is a major downer.

I was fixing to try some of that nice smelling gun oil.

I'll tell you what I like and am going to keep using now that smells nice is the Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Has a minty smell to me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/70232/LUC10877_LG-1315489.jpg
View Quote
This still has the familiar smell and works amazing.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the video. I'll start a schedule and do it say every thousand rounds for cleaning. And just wipe it down and lube it up.  Anyone have a preference for grease?  I'm gonna pick up some of that Lucas stuff and try it out.  How's the frog lube stuff?  I have some and I've only opened it never ran it. But smells like wintergreen.
View Quote
No experience but I hear a lot of complaints of Frog lube sludging up and slowing down the carrier. True/not?, I cannot say.

As for grease, I use this......

Attachment Attached File

....be forewarned, the shit smells bad. No issues with it thus far down to -20 degrees when used sparingly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting, so the stuff in the spray can has the good smell.

I will give it a try. I won't lie, I'm a sucker for good smelling stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This still has the familiar smell and works amazing.....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200314-190323_Samsung_Inter-1316165.JPG
Interesting, so the stuff in the spray can has the good smell.

I will give it a try. I won't lie, I'm a sucker for good smelling stuff.

Amazon man. Just ordered a half dozen a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#20]
anyone still using cherry balmz for their AR bolts? seems there was huge hype about them last year but now they dont get mentioned much.

I got one of their free samples and liked it but if theres anything similar i can buy in bulk id take that instead...CB applicator sucks ass and its like $16 for a tiny ass bottle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#21]
If it's a stick that will not be depended on for protection of life I can see letting a cleaning slide in between shooting sessions however, when my family, me or someone else's life depends on me and my tools......................they are cleaned each and every time they are fired period.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
It is good to test a HD/SD gun to make sure it can run when dirty.  However, I prefer to test them, insure that they WILL work reliably when dirty, then clean them so that if/when they are ever needed, they get to start out with the best chance of being reliable.  Plus, disassembling and cleaning them gives me a chance to inspect parts for wear, damage, or other things that may require attention.  Once inspected, cleaned, lubricated and re-assembled I have the most confidence in them that I feel is possible.

All that work is just a matter of lowering the odds of something bad happening.   Bad stuff can always happen because rifles are mechanical devices, I just like lowering the odds that something bad will happen.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Below is a great video from the School of the American Rifle.  He uses a combination of grease and oil on key parts.

School of the American Rifle AR15 Lubrication
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
anyone still using cherry balmz for their AR bolts? seems there was huge hype about them last year but now they dont get mentioned much.
View Quote
Cherry balmz is all I use on all of my guns. Works great in all sorts of conditions. I see no reason to use anything else unless I'm in a pinch.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I can't wait to use all this knowledge soon. I'm done fucking with cheap guns. I'm fi ally building serious use guns that can run dirty or clean. I'll hopefully have my 14.5" carbine built up soon. I'm gonna try the G96 stuff and on the 11.5" gun I'm gonna try the Lucas and some of the grease recommended here. The problem is...  and I hate to admit it...  I DONT ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO CLEAN A GUN PROPERLY.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Run it wet and it'll run a long time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I DONT ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO CLEAN A GUN PROPERLY.
View Quote
LINK

ANOTHER

@EnduroBro

These will get you on the path man.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They don't care if they're clean.  They just want lube.

Can not over lube it.  It'll sling off the excess in a few shots.
View Quote
This.  I switched to the pump spray bottle of CLP.  BCG gets a few pumps before and after shooting.  Everything just wipes off whenever it starts to look nasty.

Any gun that won’t run in this condition isn’t in the ‘hot n ready” pile.  So far the only one I have that won’t is my AR10 that still has some tuning issues to resolve.  223, 9mm, 300bo are all gtg
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LINK

ANOTHER

@EnduroBro

These will get you on the path man.
View Quote
Thanks man!  Can this be a thread that turns into sharing different oils and greases now and report on smells and what not?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then there is LV's perspective....

LINK
View Quote
But... muh bolt thrust!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But... muh bolt thrust!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there is LV's perspective....

LINK
But... muh bolt thrust!
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I got one of their free samples and liked it but if theres anything similar i can buy in bulk id take that instead...CB applicator sucks ass and its like $16 for a tiny ass bottle.
View Quote

I got a sample but hadn't experimented with it yet
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree CherryBalmz is great stuff. Their website is very informative.

This is posted on their website.

“Unsealed machines get greases, because oils are classed as flow lubricants, while greases are classed as sealing lubricants. Essentially, oils are designed to take friction contaminant, including heat, away from friction surfaces. But they do this behind gaskets, with pumps, filters, and reservoirs.

Greases are meant to stay put, including on vertical surfaces under the violence of action, and seal friction contaminants and oxidative elements away from friction surfaces. A key thing he set me straight on, is that grease isn’t this NLGI Number Two “sticky peanut butter” we all think of as grease, but that it ranges from as light as cooking oil to as thick as a block of clay. NLGI triple zero to number six, the heaviest.”

I feel this company has done extensive research on their products. The owner has also worked with professions dealing with tribology.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Estimated rd count of 1700 over the weekend. Only thing I did was squirt some CLP oil in periodically. Morning of day 2 I had one failure to hold back on last round. No other malfunctions aside from 3 rounds of Tula steel that didn't go bang over the weekend. Mix of Wolf Gold, Wolf steel, American Eagle and a handful of Tula steel.

100% suppressed, including boiling paint off the can at one point. Frankly I thought it'd be dirtier

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Estimated rd count of 1700 over the weekend. Only thing I did was squirt some CLP oil in periodically. Morning of day 2 I had one failure to hold back on last round. No other malfunctions aside from 3 rounds of Tula steel that didn't go bang over the weekend. Mix of Wolf Gold, Wolf steel, American Eagle and a handful of Tula steel.

100% suppressed, including boiling paint off the can at one point. Frankly I thought it'd be dirtier

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/20200323_140911_jpg-1329673.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384595/20200323_140956_jpg-1329676.JPG
View Quote

Shit is fun, no?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shit is fun, no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit is fun, no?
Man it was a blast. Was hitting steel silhouettes at 500 yards, which is about twice as far as I've ever shot. And with a couple other arfcommers, helluva good time!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sweet! Thanks for the report!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet! Thanks for the report!
For sure. It felt like a good test of a home build for sure. I tried an RCA adjustable gas key, staked ugly by yours truly lol. Didn't budge though, and shot soft so I think that key is a winner.

Oh and using a Raptor CH I got from you guys, so it's partial credit to you
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That is a major downer.

I was fixing to try some of that nice smelling gun oil.

I'll tell you what I like and am going to keep using now that smells nice is the Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Has a minty smell to me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/70232/LUC10877_LG-1315489.jpg
View Quote

The G96 "Gun Treatment" in the aerosol can still has the great smell. It's perfect for cleaning and the smell hangs around....just go stick your head in my safe.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Aw man! Is that bolt ready to run? I'm no pro or old hand at this, but that looks like extreme negligence.
If I did let someone borrow one of mine and they returned it in that state, I'd give them an earful !
Thanks for posting that photo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They don't care if they're clean.  They just want lube.

Can not over lube it.  It'll sling off the excess in a few shots.
View Quote

This x 1000
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Just built this up using Lucas extreme duty grease and oil. It doesnt really have a scent and cleans up nice, and the oil does great on roll pins. I haven't greased the BCG yet as some red mechanics grease found its way on it so I'm gonna burn that off a little first. Its gonna get run hard and get dirty as it is going to be my go to rifle. Attachment Attached File

No optics yet  mail got delayed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top