Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2017 1:41:41 AM EDT
I have been fiddling for about an hour with trying to re insert the extractor retaining pin with the BCM Extractor spring... I have watched videos on how to put it back but there is no way it should be this difficult.

Is there a secret to it? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If it can not be compressed enough to install then how will it compress even further for the extractor lip to go over the case? Some bolts with some extractors don't hardly have room for a normal spring. I would put it in the parts box for a different bolt and install a Colt gold colored spring with the black insert.
If it is something just got to have you may have to try a different extractor, bolt, or both.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Stronger fingers would help.

I have springs and orings on my rifles. Never had a problem installing the extractors. If it doesn't work, time to use something else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Press the side of the bolt and extractor against a hard surface like a tables edge while you put the pin back in.

Been there done that many times.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Don’t use the o-ring.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Do not use a pair of channel locks with a rag to squeeze it together.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Press the side of the bolt and extractor against a hard surface like a tables edge while you put the pin back in.

Been there done that many times.
View Quote
Same, man up
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Use a small gas line clamp.  Like a radiator hose clamp on smaller.  Slide it on, crank the screw down good and tight and put the pin in.  Then remove the clamp.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless the OP has unusually weak hands/fingers, if he has to use tools to install an extractor then the parts he's trying to install are most likely putting too much tension on the extractor.  Even with an Oring plus spring and insert, I have no problems installing the extractor.  It's tighter than spring and insert alone but not a problem to install it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been fiddling for about an hour with trying to re insert the extractor retaining pin with the BCM Extractor spring... I have watched videos on how to put it back but there is no way it should be this difficult.

Is there a secret to it? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
View Quote

What sort of videos you watched?

Try watching this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGx-6OXcu0Q

Important point is the spring has a wide end, you put that into the spring into the extractor groove.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don’t use the o-ring.
View Quote
This. I don't bother with the o-ring anymore on any of my ARs. The BCM extractor spring is very beefy compared to others.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top