Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2011 8:28:35 AM EDT
I picked up a can last night to clean a throttle body (butterfly valve) on a 2000 Camry...stuff works great and cut right thru the carbon build up inside the butterfly valvle area...10 minute job with a tooth brush and rags.

The Sea Foam site and the back of the can list many other uses...guns being one of them. The product is listed as a penetrating, cleaning, and lubing product.

I would still use my CLP or LP for final lube but what about using this on a bolt for cleaning? Anyone use it?
@$11 a can it is not cheep but my mechanic wanted $120 to clean my throttle body...

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Seafoam is pale oil, naptha (lighter fluid), and rubbing alcohol in a 6:3:1 ratio.

Not exactly high tech.  As a matter of fact, 60% of its volume does no real cleaning (the pale oil).
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Try running the gas treatment version through - never used a 'treatment' until I saw my buddy use it in his Viper. So I decided to give it a try, now I run a can about once a year in vehicles to keep things clean. Run all the time in my small engines. Not sure I'd use it on a gun though, seems fairly toxic.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Seafoam is pale oil, naptha (lighter fluid), and rubbing alcohol in a 6:3:1 ratio.

Not exactly high tech.  

Neither are 99.9% of gun care products. They are all just various blends of mineral oil, kerosene, naptha, soybean oil, soap, PTFE, thickeners, water, ect.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly high tech.  

Neither are 99.9% of gun care products. They are all just various blends of mineral oil, kerosene, naptha, soybean oil, soap, PTFE, thickeners, water, ect.

Carefully constructed blends by profession chemists with a gun oriented goals in mind.

Not to mention the additive packages that are blended in.

Even for engines, seafoam is low tech.  No advanced additives like PEA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
what you need is CLC particals.

lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try running the gas treatment version through - never used a 'treatment' until I saw my buddy use it in his Viper. So I decided to give it a try, now I run a can about once a year in vehicles to keep things clean. Run all the time in my small engines. Not sure I'd use it on a gun though, seems fairly toxic.

No gas treatment is going to clean the butterfly valves on the throttle body. You have to do as the OP did and remove it and clean it by hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No gas treatment is going to clean the butterfly valves on the throttle body. You have to do as the OP did and remove it and clean it by hand.

QFT...you'll be amazed at what you clean on a throttle bodied 104K car with todays shit gas running in it...I'm gonna do my 06' Tacoma next just to keep up on it.

I'll try the Deep Creep on my bolt after this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
According to the Sea Foam Rep., the only difference between the pour in and the aerosol is a CO2 propellant.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT...you'll be amazed at what you clean on a throttle bodied 104K car with todays shit gas running in it...I'm gonna do my 06' Tacoma next just to keep up on it.

I'll try the Deep Creep on my bolt after this weekend.

I'd be curious if it strips it crazy fast, otherwise it's a bit pricey.

I tried a bit of stuff in my soaking experiment, Hoppe's #9, Mineral Spirits, and Ed's Red minus Acetone.  So far Hoppe's was the winner, so much more effective it's worth the price premium over home brew stuff.  Doubles as cologne too.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what you need is CLC particals.

http://www.restoreusa.com/images/L_Engine_Restore.jpg

lol.

Only to be used when the gas rings are worn.
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]

I'd be curious if it strips it crazy fast, otherwise it's a bit pricey.

I tried a bit of stuff in my soaking experiment, Hoppe's #9, Mineral Spirits, and Ed's Red minus Acetone.  So far Hoppe's was the winner, so much more effective it's worth the price premium over home brew stuff.  Doubles as cologne too.  

Well according to the MSDS: http://www.hoppes.com/msds/Hoppes9/MSDS_Tri-Pac_No_%209_Solvent-Liquid_Revision_1-3.pdf

Hoppe's contains a large amount of kerosene.  I'd be curious if just straight kerosene cleaned almost as fast.  Try it out and report back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#12]
TAG. I have seen this stuff at NAPA and would like to know if it would work. On a side note I put a quart of ATF in when I fill up every couple of tanks and It keeps my injectors CLEAN. Yes, automatic transmission fluid works great. No special kind of ATF just the cheap stuff. I learned it from a mechanic friend when I told him that I need to clean my injectors. He told me to try the ATF and see if it works first and it worked wonders.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Seafoam is great fuel stabilizer and fuel preservitive. I've used it in stuff that gummed from using Stabil stabilizer.The Seafom will at times cure a fuel system problem (gummed up). Get on any outboard motor forum and see the high praise of Seafoam.
As far as cleaning a gun I'd be willing to bet it would do a good job. The cost is high, I use several gallons a year.
Kerosene works for me when dunking larger parts and/or removing cosmoline.
Paint thinner works real well too and can be found many places. Paint thinner will dry out your skin pretty bad if you use it a lot.
Kerosene is oilier and not nearly as hard on the skin.
I've cleaned ALOT of really nasty engine parts with plain old diesel fuel. It does a good job.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used Seafoam to clean the carbon buildup off internal engine components such as intake manifolds and the valves (high mileage vehicles). Just very slowly suck some in through an intake vacuum line while the engine is running. The amount at the moment I can't recall. Turn off the motor and let it sit for 1/2 hour and allow the Seafoam to soak in to all the deposits. Then start the motor and watch all the crap get burned off. Word of warning, do this away from anything you don't want to turn black. So don't do it next to the house or another vehicle.  Also, it's going to put out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have used Seafoam to clean the carbon buildup off internal engine components such as intake manifolds and the valves (high mileage vehicles). Just very slowly suck some in through an intake vacuum line while the engine is running. The amount at the moment I can't recall. Turn off the motor and let it sit for 1/2 hour and allow the Seafoam to soak in to all the deposits. Then start the motor and watch all the crap get burned off. Word of warning, do this away from anything you don't want to turn black. So don't do it next to the house or another vehicle.  Also, it's going to put out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.

The main method of cleaning when sucking seafoam through a vacuum line isn't solvency, but rather thermal shock.  The cold liquid hits the hot carbon and causes it to quickly contract and break free from the surface.

Water was used for this for years!  I've talked to all kinds of old people that would pour water into their carbs for this.  I've also heard of brake fluid, but why I never understood.

Seafoam is just a light (pale) oil, lighter fluid, and rubbing alcohol.  No scientifically advanced additives, super solvents, or cleaners in it.

I have thought about trying LC20 by www.lubecontrol.com before.  I have seen it just melt away carbon when I tested its solvency a many years ago.  Also it has a viscosity of about a 5w20 motor oil and a flash point above 325F (Seafoam's flash point is 55F).  LC20 is only $38 a gallon too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Gotta be careful with that stuff in your engine though if you have not used it before.  The seafoam through the vac hose on a 96 Jeep Cherokee deposited all the stuff it "cleaned" onto the plugs and O2 sensors.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I do this about once a year.  Do not treat it in the garage!!!  Do it in the driveway.  My neighbors love it when I fog up the neighborhood

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I put Seafoam in my 93 Jeep XJ once a year and it do put off the white smoke. Lots and Lots of white smoke. Motor kinda feels cleaner afterwards.

Never tried on a gun, but I do have a shotgun that I could try it on........
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#20]
If my bolt is really dirty, I use the cheapest shaving cream I can find with the hottest water I can stand.  I only do this if  I have been running ATF as a lube for long periods of time.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top