Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:40:19 PM EDT
What technique or tools are you guys using or recommending to clean the barrel underneath free-floating handguards or rail systems? In my case specifically, YHM free float rails on a Bushmanster modular carbine.

tia
john
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:27:27 PM EDT
You can use small wool daubers used for glues, primers, leather dyes, etc. Or a shotgun swab. The daubers are cheaper though, and you can buy them by the 100's....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:29:29 PM EDT
I never clean mine cause it never got dirty enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:35:06 AM EDT
a 12 gauge swab
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
That is something I wonder abut. My M-4 has gotten wet several times and the dust on it turned to mud... I can get it off bc the RAS is removable. If it was a LaRue...who knows.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:33:36 AM EDT
I would think plain old brake cleaner would work well for blasting dirt away. Then follow up with a light coat of CLP.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:49:48 AM EDT
What about using some high temp engine paint to paint the barrel under the rails? Won't keep it cleaner, but it would help prevent rust wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:53:22 AM EDT
ONLY those who are certifiably anal-retentive worry about such things...........

Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:13:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
ONLY those who are certifiably anal-retentive worry about such things...........

Mike

Or if you work with the rifle....get it good and wet/muddy and tell me you don't need to clean carbon based steel.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:17:31 AM EDT

Mike

The other 2% of Arfcommers occasionally jam something crude in between the tube and the barrel. Once in a great while after some drills I'll have sand grit up there and some mud. I usually put it under the sink and dry it using a rag on the end of a coat hanger.

Typically the only way you'll get crud up there is if your barrel has residual oils / lubes / etc on it. If the barrel is dry and clean as it should be, the only crap that'd be on the barrel after a field session is whatever goop you picked up while using the gun.

Good question though, so don't feel like a newb. Everyone's gotta learn sometime.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:18:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FedDC:

Mike

Or if you work with the rifle....get it good and wet/muddy and tell me you don't need to clean carbon based steel.

Use an air hose then. Couple hundred psi will clean it up in seconds.

Mike
Top Top