Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 6:28:25 PM EDT
link

Anybody have any experience with this (AR or otherwise)?  Thoughts?  It certainly seems cheap enough, but is it worth a damn?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
section of weedwacker line
heat one end with lighter to get thick
cut other end with a slant to pierce patch

works the same.

the patchworm works great for .22lr's but i use the otis kit for both.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

the patchworm works great for .22lr's but i use the otis kit for both.

We think alike, Patchworm is neat and I had one for my 22, but I'd rather have the Otis.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using a patch worm variation for 2 years on my 22's, mauser, AR and shotguns.  I use the method described by using the weedwacker line.  It works great and there is no fear of damaging your bore, barrel or crown.

Shoot safe.

Lovesbeer (but shoots safe)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks... it sounds like the Patch Worm is pretty much exactly what I thought it was, although for some reason I hadn't considered the obvious option of grabbing a lighter and making one myself.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Another thing I like about this method is you can use larger patches.  For instance I use 38 cal patches in my are with no problem.  Also, you can roll it up and put it in your pocket.  This makes transport very easy to the range.  

I use the bright green weed wacker line.  Heat 1 end with a lighter and flatten it slightly. As described previously, cut the other end into a point to pierce the patches.  Flannel patches work best.  Note.  Keep it a little long as when time goes by you  will need to resharpen the end and it tends to get shorter.

Shoot safe.

Lovesbeer (but shoots safe)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You'd be better off spending a little more and buying the Otis cleaning kit which uses a coated cable and brass patch holders and jags instead of the cheap weed whacker line and plastic pieces of the patch worm. I use the otis kit with cleaning solution first, and then the bore-snake with oil for final barrel treatment. All my barrels look like new.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top