Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/18/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
I'm almost certain this has been covered before, but not in the last month. This is only a hypothetical question for me, because I always clean my guns as soon as I get in from shooting.

Assuming you are using non-corrosive ammo, does it harm the gun in any way to say throw it in the safe and clean it a month or so later? I'm assuming that as long as you clean it well eventually, this practice wouldn't really harm the weapon. Am I right?

Not going to try this out, just something that crossed my mind today.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:20:39 PM EDT
Good question.Ive never been able to make it to the next day without cleaning.Drives me nuts...gota clean after I shoot.
Ive seen folks go months without cleaning,my brother is the worlds worst,and not have many issues.That said he has some function issues from time to time and a few rusty finger prints.
Personally I'd rather spend a few minutes of my time and a few cents on cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:42:59 AM EDT
The most important thing to me is keeping them clean!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:29:47 AM EDT
I agree. Just kind of wondering what if?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:11:18 AM EDT
Here is my routine. I don't know if it is right or wrong but I don't have any problems with it. If I fire a rifle I will normally wait until I have 500 rds through it or one month has passed before cleaning. I have chrome lined bores, use non-corrosive ammo, and have dessicant in my safe.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:14:01 AM EDT
If you have a chrome lined bore, it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't, the bore might rust. Or if conditions are very humid.

Gunpowder residue attracts and holds water. I have let a rifle with 1,000 rounds of shit in the action sit for a month. The next time it was fired, a case got stuck in it and the rim was ripped off of the case. Too dry to function. However it was not rusted.

I have seen CM barrels in several rifles rust to the point that the weapon would no longer fire--pitted chambers are bad!
Top Top