Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 7:21:49 PM EDT by FrankSymptoms]
Sorry if this is off-topic... I have a very good stainless cleaning rod, and want to know what I can use to coat it with to protect my bore. I was thinking of (1) some of that painted-on plastic you put on tool handles, or (2) some very thin brass or copper tubing.

(edited part) After cleaning it carefully with ether or some such, of course!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:00:00 PM EDT
Go to an electrical supply store and get some heat shrink...They sell it in 3 foot lengths and different colors.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
Great idea, hadn't thought of heat shrink tubing. Does it withstand the kinds of chemicals we use to clean the bore?

Thanks again for the idea!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:41:24 PM EDT
Yes very easily and its cheap....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:01:15 PM EDT
Well... tried the shrink tubing, it ended up larger than the bore of the rifle... had to strip it off. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:23:31 PM EDT
It worked on the wal mart rods I bought...
I used them for .30 cals without problems...Won't work on .22's..
What caliber are you using and what rod???
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:11:44 AM EDT
I dont think your going to find any coatting out there for a 22 rod, where it would be coswt effective vs just buying a Dewy.

Mic your rod, them you know how thick the coatting has to be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:55 PM EDT
Don't remember the brand of the rod, its a nice one... ball-bearing handle... plenty long. It's not quite a 'snug' fit in my .223 AR. I may just spray it with some kind of plastic or something.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:17:47 AM EDT
You're better off using a stainless rod as is rather than coating it yourself. Soft materials will embed abrasive particles and wear the bore. Coatings on commercial rods such as Bore Tech and Dewey use a hard coating (probably nylon) that won't embed grit. Be sure to use a bore guide (I prefer the one from Sinclair <http://www.sinclairintl.com/>) and you'll be OK with your rod. There is an eternal debate over coated vs. uncoated rods similr to the moly-coated vs. naked bullet debate; both sides have their points and you'll have to make up your own mind. If you buy a coated rod, I'd recommend a Bore Tech as the handle and bearings are much better - I usually find the best price at Lock, Stock and Barrel <http://www.lockstock.com/>.
Top Top