Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 11:59:16 AM EDT
I have searched some older threads but have not found anything related to this.  On my Bushmaster M4 when I attempt to take out the buffer and spring for cleaning the buffer hits the hammer before it can clear the tube.  I was thinking I should just press down on the hammer and that would give me the clearance to remove it but I didn't want to F the thing up.  What is the easiest way to do this?

thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Pressing down on the hammer should give you clearance to pull out the buffer and spring.  Turn the buffer so one of the flat spots is over the hammer and the retaining pin.

But you shouldn't need to clean that area as long as you don't have any oils to attract dirt or as long as you haven't been in a really sandy environment.

I almost never pull the buffer out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  The part that I was able to see appeared to be clean, I will probably only remove after alot of firing or for a major cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Dry fire the weapon before disassembly (ensure it’s not loaded). With the hammer forward the buffer and spring will slide right out. You can also ride the hammer forward with the receivers separated.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have searched some older threads but have not found anything related to this.  On my Bushmaster M4 when I attempt to take out the buffer and spring for cleaning the buffer hits the hammer before it can clear the tube.  I was thinking I should just press down on the hammer and that would give me the clearance to remove it but I didn't want to F the thing up.  What is the easiest way to do this?

thanks.

Just like you thought.  Push down on the hammer while in the cocked position and that will give the buffer enough room to slide out.  The buffer & spring are really a low maintenance item.  Short of getting them filthy or wet, they don't need to be pulled out each time.  That's not to say that they don't ever need cleaning or inspection.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top