Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:11:20 PM EDT
Here is a solution I haven't seen for some years. It's dangerous to the point of being truly frightening, and probably illegal in some areas.
Simply plug one end of the barrel and fill barrel with mercury. Wait overnight. CAREFULLY remove mercury and CAREFULLY brush out residue from barrel. Dispose of all materials properly.
Mercury is extremely active when it comes to most metals. It will absorb* most metals, especially soft metals like copper, lead, etc. I don't know what it'll do to chrome lined barrels though. But this was at one time a solution for heavily fouled barrels.

*The refining of many metals, i.e. gold, silver, etc was accomplished by pouring mercury (aka quicksilver) over the crushed metal ore and then boiling it off. The residue after boiling was the refined metal! The residue also included scrambled brains... that's why there is an enduring icon of the old West, the lone prospector, the crazy old coot with mining pan and pickaxe, mumbling to himself as he crossed the desert with his mule. The point is:

MERCURY IS EXTREMELY TOXIC! MERCURY IS EXTREMELY TOXIC! MERCURY IS EXTREMELY TOXIC!his
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top