Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:36:04 AM EDT
What do you guys use to clean your BCG, Bolt etc.? Toothbrush, metal brush.....etc?

Is the greyish finish color of the BCG supposed to come off the more you clean and chrome supposed to show? I've noticed that mostly where the bolt sits, when taken out, the greyish finish is gone and its showing the chrome. Is this common......
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#1]
TOOTH BRUSH TO CLEAN.

You may be seeing normal wear. pic would help.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been told steel brushes are fine.............but hey, what do I know!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Standard issue toothbrush.

Chrome?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Standard issue toothbrush.

Chrome?

Yes chrome
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
there are parts that are supposed to wear down to the SS, and you shouldnt worry about it.  DO NOT USE A STEEL BRUSH!  A regular old toothbrush will do the job.  For heavy stuff use a scraper in that spot to take it off, but try to let your solvent do as much work as you can do.

For 95% of the cleaning on the B/BC, a regular old toothbrush will do the job without much hassle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
not chrome, but carpenter steel ( I forget the number), unless you are talking about inside the bolt carrier. In this case the chrome is always visable.

Is your carrier a USGI spec, or an aftermarket 100% platted job?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I find that for the underside of the Carrier a copper bruch works great, as the finish there will wear off. The finish on Mil-Spec carriers can vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have found that the Del-Ton Carriers have a smoother finish than some others, but are Mil-Spec.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top