Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/10/2005 11:08:19 AM EDT
Alright, by reading some of your posts here and replies to my previous threads, as well as reading the TM and Maryland Shooter's...I got the impression that your bolt and bolt carrier should be generously lubed inside and out. However, in looking at these 100's of pics of AR's posted here and there, it seems that many of the actions (if trap door is open) are fairly dry. Also, if not using sealed primer ammo, isn't contamination of some concern?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:58:50 AM EDT
When cleaning my guns, I always have the tenedency to douse everything with lube. But as I've heard before, the rule is overlubing is generally WORSE than underlubing. Say you underlube a little and end up with a bit more metal to metal contact/friction. A little of that happens no matter what the lube. I've been told an m16 should be able to run without ANY lube.

However, overlubing allows dirt and sand to be caught in the parts. Dirt and sand often times is harder than glass and can easily mar metal surfaces... much more than say metal to metal friction.

Mine get's a healthy wipe down with an oily rag, but I don't douse.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:11:31 PM EDT
AR15's have trap doors? Hmmm, strange...

Just put a thin coat on and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:11:25 AM EDT
the ammount of lube varriers on where your rifle will be used. that "trap door" is called a dust cover.

I run my rifles a little wet, no sand here in PA I have to deal with, no when I run the gun at some NY ranges I run them with just a wet patch wipped on the parts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:34:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:09:33 PM EDT
I have run into more problems with overlubing than underlubing.

The cliche is "less is more and more is less"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:05:37 PM EDT
I run a little extra oil on my Ar because where I have it stored gets quite damp and a rifle can rust if you don't have a little extra lube on it, but if I could store it in a dryer place I would use much less oil on it. I have not ran into any problems with more oil than usual
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:07:26 PM EDT
enough so it doesn't hurt
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:58:21 AM EDT
I actually use FP-10 on a Q-tip these days to ensure I cover the necessary locations with a light coat of lube. Works well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:52:01 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:09:45 PM EDT
I generously lube all my firearms. The bore is simply given a good swabbing with a saturated patch. Now some may be horrified by what I do next but I liberally spray the outside down with CLP and wipe it down. I dont even wipe it down all that much. This applies to my bolt guns and pistols as well as shotguns. They glisten with CLP. I am actually dissapointed if there isn't CLP seeping from the joints and pinholes etc. when they have sat awhile. Now if I was going to be storing them under the bed or anyplace a little less controlled than a safe or case I would wipe them down better after dousing them. I love that if I dry fire my pistols they give a little spray of CLP when the hammer hits home. This type of lubing has never harmed any of my firearms and some of them are pretty old!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:41:15 PM EDT
That just sounds excessive. What I seem to find is that there is a critical mass of CLP. A certain ammount is necessary, but anything more than that is just wasteful and does nothing further to benefit you.

my 2 cents
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:49:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USAF_Hop_N_Pop:
That just sounds excessive. What I seem to find is that there is a critical mass of CLP. A certain ammount is necessary, but anything more than that is just wasteful and does nothing further to benefit you.

my 2 cents

+1 A slimy ass gun just doesn't sound any fun...to use, carry, or other. Your ammunition probably doesn't like it too much either. ...but to each his own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:54:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USAF_Hop_N_Pop:
That just sounds excessive. What I seem to find is that there is a critical mass of CLP. A certain ammount is necessary, but anything more than that is just wasteful and does nothing further to benefit you. actually hinders the effectiveness of the lube

Fixed it for you!

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:59:28 AM EDT
I lube like I was taught in the Corps with BF CLP.
Then I run a bead of 50/50 TETRA Gun Grease and Oil down each of the four bolt carrier rails, gob the cam pin front and back while in the carrier, and a teeny, weeny dot on the back of each bolt lug.

This is a carry over from the way I lube my AR-10s. If I was carrying the rifle for a living, again, I'd lube like the environment demanded.

Dave S
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:11:02 PM EDT
I've never had a problem with my guns being "slimy" thats what a good gun rag is for. If there wet a little in the safe it hurts nothing. The pistol that goes on the night stand is drier than the rest. The revolver that stays in the truck doesn't need much lube as it's a revolver so it has less than the rest. They get hosed down going into the safe and wiped down before a trip to the range or if they are to be carried. I've never seen any rust or corrosion on any of my firearms and I've been doing it this way for about 20 years. I find a good shot of CLP and a little rub down to be good preventative maintenance for the finish of my firearms. I don't get oil on my ammo although sometimes the top of the magazine is a little damp....and usually warm from being fired!hippie.gif
Top Top