Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2005 7:42:26 PM EDT
Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can pic up a "true" military Go, No-Go and field guages for checking headspace? All I can find are civi versions.  Maybe someone has a PN from somewhere? Brownells etc. all seen to be the SAAMI gauges and they're out anyway...Thanks...

K_SNIPER
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
headspace

M16 Max. Headspace Gage   4933-00-070-7814          7799734              $30.00           Disassembly of bolt not needed, gage is cut for extractor and ejector clearance

(edit: why go all the way to the bottom :-))
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks......!
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
http://www.billricca.com/prod06.htm

M16 Max. Headspace Gage   4933-00-070-7814          7799734              $30.00           Disassembly of bolt not needed, gage is cut for extractor and ejector clearance

How does one use that gauge?  I assume insert it into the chamber and then close the bolt/bolt carrier----right?  With a field gauge, the bolt should NOT close on the gauge------right(?)----for if it does close on it, that would be an indication of excessive headspace---right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a field reject,  if the bolt closes it is time to rebarrel or swap around bolt lookinf for one that allows that allows the bolt to stay unlocked.

For me I think it would be cheaper to just replace the bolt.

Now I just have to find the field reject guage, I think it is out in the shop somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You just drop it in....Lightly push BCG forward. TM spec old version says maximum of 8.5lbs force...so..as they put it...finger pressure althought the updated TM says to hold the upper vertical, with the field guage installed and the BCG group resting on it and then add a 8.5lbd set of discs to the top of the BCG group. Bolt SHOULD NOT ROTATE TO LOCKED POSITION. A little ridiculous even for my anal self. The carrier should protrude from out the back of the upper. If the bolt closes. It's time for a new bolt or barrel swap. I also use a SAMMI spec "FIELD" which is very very very close to a NATO / Milspec NO-GO on fresh builds. I use the Sinclair tool to disassemble the bolt first since the ejector has to come out. I prefer that a new build bolt and barrel NOT pass a NATO No-Go. I use the NATO Field/Reject every 6 mos. as a check as I fire off a lot of ammo.

K_SNIPER
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the insights and instruction, guys!  Appreciate it!  CBR
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my Field gauge from someone on the EE. $25 for a NIW military field. I have Clymer G/NG gauges, but I need a bolt tool to take out the extractor.

Oh yeah, make sure your chamber and bolt face are spotless.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top