User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#1]
So the key here is to use CLP only and an occasional sweets in the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I use clp and mobil 1. Mobil 1 is some good shit
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavy Metal made a good point.  Do you keep your AR in a safe?  If so get one of those anti-moisture devices, that should help with all the humidity u guys have over there.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is a rust preservative comparison done at Brownells. It does not address the cleaner or the lubricant portion of this thread, but it's interesting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here is a rust preservative comparison done at Brownells. It does not address the cleaner or the lubricant portion of this thread, but it's interesting.

Thanks for the info.  Very interesting, indeed!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ever use CorrosionX. Blows CLP out of the water.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I did not like the smell and it did not flow as well as Break-Free when I did my unscientific cold weather freezer test.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is that a question or a statement?
Eezox and Corrosion-X have comparable corrosion protection to BreakFree CLP.
But Eezox and Corrosion-X isn't the same as BreakFree CLP.

I use BF CLP because it works, it's inexpensive, and is readily available. The civilian version has a little bit more solvent than what the military uses (USGI CLP = BreakFree CLP or 2 other brands)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use BF CLP because it works, it's inexpensive, and is readily available. The civilian version has a little bit more solvent than what the military uses (USGI CLP = BreakFree CLP or 2 other brands)

Hey metroplex,
You have that backwards bro.In fact the civie Break Free CLP in the liquid bottles these days has less solvent than we have seen in the past.Much less than the BF CLP aerosol and as a result I personally consider it to be a better lube and it does not evaporate off as fast,but has a slight decrease in cleaning ability.Not by much though.The liquid bottles of BF CLP is also the new "E" formula and has the required corrosion specification of that spec which exceeds the "D" specification.As you know the "E" specification has not been approved or complete for MIL-SPEC use.So the military BF is still MIL-PRF-63460D.
The aerosol BF CLP is the most like the military issue BF CLP we can get and is the MIL-PRF-63460D formula.They use the old D formula due to higher solvent content which aids in getting the CLP out of the can in aerosol form.At least that is what Im told by Don Yoder at Break Free.
The aerosol BF CLP has just a bit less solvent than the military version,but is very close.
Compare the MSDS's or conatact Break Free's technical department for confirmation.
Just as a FYI,if you remember the viscosity of the Break Free CLP of the late 1980's and early 1990's as I do,(the formula I liked best of all by the way) the BF L/P has about the same viscosity.Tends to lube very well but does not clean much at all as it has little to no solvent.It does stay put though and hardly any odor.
Might be something to look at with your sensitive skin.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:11:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not like the smell and it did not flow as well as Break-Free when I did my unscientific cold weather freezer test.

When you say it did not "flow" as well as Breakfree, can you plase elucidate? Cold Weather freezr rest. Please explain! CorrosionX Creeps like crazy and smells very plesent. Better than Breakfree and it contains NO solvents.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
CorrosionX does contain solvent.
From the MSDS:             Hydrocarbon solvent      9% by weight     CAS#64742-47-8
Ive used CX and agree its good very stuff.I do not like the smell though.
But I personally saw no performance advantage over Break Free CLP to make me want to spend the extra money on the CX,much less try and locate a dealer or mail order and pay shipping.
Like others have mentioned...Break Free is a top performer and has been for over twenty years,is available most everywhere and priced right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I use BF CLP exclusively and have had NO problems.

I guess I'm too lazy to use solvent and then gun oil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

)

Every test Ive read or seen had eezox blowing clp apart including my own.  In fact I gave up trying to get the product to fail.  eezox cleans and lubes also.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Help me out guys.. im brand new to AR's in fact he is my baby...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/Clewis08/ODM4.jpg

and ive read this forum and all the fighting about WD40 and how it sucks for AR's and works great for household activities.  ill leave it at that so as to not start anymore fighting. I could use some tips for gun cleaning and just your every so often wipe down of the outside and parts. what i could learn from what you guys have said is that Break Free CLP is great for wiping the outside and spraying over all the general parts, but something some specific such as hoppes or another product is better for actual barrel cleaning.. i could use some help with the specifics such as how often i should clean things. for example every few days/weeks i should field strip and spray everything down with BF CLP? any help would be great.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I tear down my rifle after every outing, completely, its a Hesse, so I better.  hehe.. anyhow, I use  a good copper remover, FP-10 on the bolt group, and remoil down the barrel when finished.  Breakfree is also used to help cleaning after using dirtly ammo such as wolf..  Then, before shooting the next time I inspect the rifle and reapply if necessary.  I am a clean freak, and probably why all my firearms shoot flawlessly.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WD40=water based crap.

I always thought tequila=water based crap. Sorry just found the thread and couldn't resist.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top