Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2003 11:13:08 AM EDT
I received my sample pack from SPS yesterday.
It came with:
  • Slip 2000 Gun Lube 1oz
  • 725 Gun Cleaner/Degreaser 4oz
  • Choke Tube/Carbon Cutter Cleaner 6oz

I clean my ARs pretty good, I do not scrape the carbon out of the bolt carrier.

I checked the inside of the bolt carrier and I would have to say the rear was 80% covered in carbon. The area where the firing pin retaining pin is had quite a bit of carbon as well.

I shook up the bottle as directed and when I opened it I was not assailed with that "I'm getting cancer" smell. Smelled a lot like oranges.

I dipped the whole bolt carrier in and I waited 15min like the directions say.

After I took it out I used Q-tips to clean away the solution and I noticed that the firing pin retaining pin area was 100% carbon free! After I wiped out the inside of the bolt carrier (again with a Q-tip) I shined a little light inside and the carbon (80% covered) was just about gone!

I don't surgerically clean my guns, but I am impressed.

Well worth the free sample in my book.
Send them an email and give it a try!
slip2000.com/home.html

edited to add, the 6oz bottle is tall enought to get just over half of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, I just got the same sample. Haven't tried it out yet, need to go shooting!! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
This stuff sounds good!!! I just mite send out an E-mail. That carbon in the carrier has been driving me crazy!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm using the same sampler pack.
Cleaned my bolt last week in Carbon Cutter after putting about 300 rds thru it, dissolved all the carbon with no scraping. Great stuff.
The lube looks pretty good, too.
My bottle of 725 has a defective sprayer, can't use it, though. [:(]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the report.

I’ve got some, but haven’t had a chance to really use it much.  I’ve tried it out with Q-Tips on a carbon coated stainless revolver cylinder and it seems to work pretty well (though not as well as Blue Wonder, which is specifically designed to be used like that).

When I get a chance, I’m going to pull that cylinder and see what happens when I dunk the whole thing.  I suspect a really difficult cleaning chore is going to be a lot easier!! [:)]

Note that the manufacturer cautions that leaving parts sticking out of the fluid might result in rust on any exposed metal.  I suspect this is an issue with a nicely blued part, not something like a parkerized carrier.  Presumably you didn’t notice any problems of this kind.

I am kind of wondering how long this stuff will last before it loses it potency.

I also wish they put it in something other than a glass jar.  I’ve got the 16-ounce size and I’m a little nervous when I handle it!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Good point...
I left the B/C soaking no more than 15 min.
The bottle said extended imersion would fade the part...
there was no change in the color.

One more thing... my SP2 now smells like a Orange.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
So I am just curious what you guys think about this Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter. Has it made cleaning the bolt and bolt carrier a little easier??

Crisco
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes it has. a lot less scraping and it smells nice too
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top