Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 7:09:53 AM EDT
First off, I am glad to be a new poster on the board.

SO... I am going to paint my bushy patrolmans carbine.  I read on another board that rustoleum was a good way to go, however I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about in that it seems to be pretty permanent.  Also, reading the can it states that it contains acetone.  Acetone is bad for plastic as I recall.

Is Bowflage the preffered way to go?

If I use rustoleum should I prime the plastic parts with plastic primer?  

If I ever wanted to take the rustoleum off what would I use?

Anyway thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bowflage is what most people here use. It can be removed with brake cleaner. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Bowflage all the way! I always thought anyone who recommended Kyrlon or Ruseoleum was joking.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Krylon.

Why would you ever want to take it off? If you change AO you just paint over it. Its a tool, quit babying it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
In rusto\krylon the level of acetone is not high enough to do damage, but, plastic primer would not hurt just an aditional step.

Just make sure you are using enamel not latex and give the finish one week to cure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Paint that puppy! Krylon and Rustoleum primer
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=56350&c=548&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056350.JPG[/img][/url]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Just painted it.  Decided to use both bowflage and rusto.

Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I used rustoleum flat black to touch up a tiny ding once way back when.......it came right off with CLP so I don't know how it will  hold up.  It was the enamel!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top