Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 6:51:08 AM EDT
I'm not trying to start anything, but I noticed on the AK board there are no topics under main. and cleaning, but for the AR there's plenty. Do they not clean their AK's? I will admit, I don't treat my AK as nicely as my AR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
i usally clean mine (ak) every 3rd time out to the range. frankly theyy just don't need to cleaned often. they don't shit where they eat so it takes a good 3-4 times as many rounds before the action is carboned up. they don't need lubercation to function so you don't see tw25b vs armalube vs millitec vs fp-10 vs clp theads. you also don't see "wolf ammo ruined my ak" threads even the aks chambered in 5.56/223, you don't see "do i need green followers in my mags" threads either. AK owners like to take their guns out and shoot alot of rounds at a time. they don't mount gay optics/rails/ and "please shoot at the light to kill me" flash lights on thier guns. they aren't pinpoint accurate but they don't need to be. if you wan an accurate one (sun 2 inch groups) you can buy a vepr from robinson arms. Aks are alot of fun. yes i have noticed the maintance forum on ak-47.net is pretty much dead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen the "AK's don't need maintenance" carried too far though. While robust, they are not moron proof. One had it's piston rusted securely into the gas cylinder, and required a healthy bit of mouse milk, and persuading with a deadblow to open.

Keep it clean.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
why do I get the feeling this is goning to turn into an AK VS AR thead.

[argue]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[argue]
View Quote

Because it already has.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I TW25B my AK's.  The steel is not magic in them and I want mine to last, just like my AR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I clean my AK after every trip to the range as well as my AR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#7]
If your into AK's and not cleaning then you gotta try a HK SL8 converted to G36 format the conversion uses AR mags.

More accurate than your normal AK but with none of the crud problems of the AR.

My G36(SL8) is not quite as accurate as my Armalite AR but it sure runs a lot cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Speaking grom experience with Both AK's and M16's with the military i will say that The AK is definitely more forgiving than an M16. But without question, and having literally spent complete days of just cleaning, the AK is much more difficult to clean than an M16. The front trunnion is the biggest PITA to clean as the armory wants. There are so many areas that are unreachable, and even after parts washer baths and cleaning there is still carbon in places that are unreachable. I honestly prefer cleaning M16's any day of the week.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Got to chime in, my SKS is just like an AK, you can leave it dirty and it will still function. I probably put 500 rounds through my SKS before I broke it down and cleaned it. Very easy with one skrewdriver. Some brake cleaner and CLP and that thing rocks again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I clean all my firearms after I shoot, regardless of what they are. On the AK, I swab the bore and gas tube with shooters choice bore cleaner and let it sit. Then I clean the receiver with mineral spirits and a toothbrush. By this time the bore is ready to be scrubbed with a brush, and the gas tube cleaned out. I'll wipe the interior with CLP, but I use high temp wheel bearing grease on the bolt assembly and the rails. It's cheap, stays put, and works great. I've also started using Mobil 1 synthetic oil for lube. The AR gets the same treatment except I only use CLP as a lube. Get a cleaning kit with a one piece coated rod, bore guide, and chamber brush for the AR. You can get them from GP, and they work great....
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
AK47 or any of it's variants (other than preban soon to be no ban) is a cheap POS to abuse and beat the crap out of.

I take good care of a good gun but an AK isent worth wasting time on. Shoot it and throw it in your trunk. It rusts, kick the bolt open, shoot it, and throw it back in your trunk.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AK47 or any of it's variants (other than preban soon to be no ban) is a cheap POS to abuse and beat the crap out of.

I take good care of a good gun but an AK isent worth wasting time on. Shoot it and throw it in your trunk. It rusts, kick the bolt open, shoot it, and throw it back in your trunk.

View Quote

I have one that has never been cleaned, except the initial Degreasing when new. She is a bit rusty, but it WAS an $139 gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[argue]
View Quote

Because it already has.
View Quote

AK: designed for 3rd worlders unable to be instructed on how to maintain equipment and to be reliable after MANY rounds because it takes a lot to hit something [:D]

j/k

You see so many posts in the Maintenance section because a bunch of worry worts buy into the paranoia.  

A clean gun is a happy gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I think it's because the CMP doesn't shoot AK.  A lot of the cleaning discussions get started because people read posts by match shooters who clean meticulously and think they're not cleaning their AR as well as the should.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think it's because the CMP doesn't shoot AK.  A lot of the cleaning discussions get started because people read posts by match shooters who clean meticulously and think they're not cleaning their AR as well as the should.  
View Quote

I would have to agree.  I've heard from both folks in the military and leo that yes, you have to keep it clean, but not to the point that it sparkles.  All it should take with a little practice is 15 mins.  IMHO.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top