Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 12:59:24 PM EDT
Anyone out there use grease instead of oil for these parts to make it move smoother? Or does it make a bigger mess of things? As for the bolt carrier, I was thinking just greasing the exterior, still a good idea or stick with CLP?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use a light coat of CLP on the charging handle and bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used tetra grease on the entire rifle on initial cleaning.  Wanted to make sure that it was lubed really well while breaking it in.  Seemed to work well...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Grease always makes moving parts slicker longer.Doesn't dry up like oils. Use sparingly to avoid attracting lint/dust/sand.

Kurt
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
TW25B is the answer.  I tried it, and I am a beliver now [banana]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I use it there.  I wait until just before I go to the range to apply it though.  When I get home I clean with Hoppe's #9 with a Brake Clean rinse and finally a coat of CLP for storage.

I grease the buffer spring and don't mess with it for another 500 rounds.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
TW25B is the answer.  I tried it, and I am a beliver now [:p]
View Quote

Damn straight!!!  It's the best!!!

.....and loose the gay banana!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
This TW25B sounds pretty good.  I've checked out the web sight and read nothing but positive remarks from other sources.  I've gone from Hoppes, to Breakfree, to FP-10, and currently MPro7.  

Being in the desert, I've always tried to use minimal amounts of oily lubricants.  Now I think I'll finally be able to settle on TW25B. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
.....and loose the gay banana!
View Quote

Hey, no one told me that Mr. Banana was gay. [sex]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Desert_Nomad1 hit the nail on the head.  It depends on your environment.  

In the high desert of Nevada, I ALMOST don't lube anything (excepting critical contact points).  MAYBE I'll lightly lube the barrel and exposed metal surfaces if I know I'm not going to use the weapon for a long time.  

Conversely, over in the Bay, or even back in upstate NY, I'd store 'em in a 55 gallon drum of motor oil if it were practical.  Actually, back east the current lub of choice among my compadres is a product called Fluid Film (which is essentially pure sheeps wool lanolin).  

The cool thing about Fluid Film is you can drench the weapon with it, wood stocks and all, and it's friendly to even every wood finish that I know of.  Of course, back there it's so humid that nothing is ever dry.  You can paint a wall and set a gun on the floor and the gun will rust before the paint dries.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Per the Technical Manual: use a light coat of CLP.  

CLP also makes it easier to clean the weapon after firing.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
[/quote]

Damn straight!!!  It's the best!!!

.....and loose the gay banana![/quote]

Is that a homo battle cry?

[/bold]Loose the Gay Banana!!![/bold]

pat
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#12]
i spray down the handle and the race it rides in with superlub dry film lube. superlube isn't the best lube but its dry doesn't attract crud and is plenty of lube for an area that doesn't see alot of use. for the carrier i lube it with either clp very sparingly on the carrier rails and on the cam pin. the blot locking lugs also.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top